Broiling in Texas

43 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I stopped going to Texas to teach after 2011 ( other than San Antonia, fly in and out...lol ) rehearsals are brutal and even with tinted windows and AC the sun I remember burning through the bus windows , had to hang shirts to block the heat...crazy...lol No thank you!

We’ve went to San Antonio twice for the regional.  It didn’t bother me that much but Jim said the first time it was “Vietnam hot”.  He was okay the second time. I remember my phone said it was 101 degrees every day we were there.  I really had an enjoyable time, though.   But, I wasn’t teaching or marching in it either. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

Global warming will force DCI to move their summer tour northward in the coming years. Texas will become too dangerous--it may already be.  

Climate change* 

It is a phenomenon of extreme weather rather than just a general warming effect 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Climate change* 

It is a phenomenon of extreme weather rather than just a general warming effect 

Probably best to say *enduring* weather phenomenon, as we’ve had 100+ temperatures since early June, no sign of it ending for a while. We usually see those coming about in the area later in the summer, July-August. Seeing the weather for Tulsa next week isn’t promising for the Broken Arrow show, this morning I saw a forecast for 111(!!!) i really do hope that doesn’t come to pass and the temperatures drop some, it seems even worse than what the North Texas shows will have to deal with

19 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Now I want to go back through reams of weather data to find out just how much hotter it is now vs when I marched (mid 2000s)

1980 was especially brutal in the mid-west. 100+ for something like 60 straight days in many areas. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

1980 was especially brutal in the mid-west. 100+ for something like 60 straight days in many areas. 

It was bad.  So was 1995.  It was 105 at Dekalb.  739 people died in Chicago from the heat that summer.  https://vlab.noaa.gov/web/nws-heritage/-/great-chicago-heat-wave-of-1995

Edited by Terri Schehr

DCI really should drop the Texas tour next year--all the shows are going to have to push back their start times. Even then, dangerous heat is unsafe for the kids and the fans.  I know that the corps make a lot of money on that 8 day tour, but temps are only going to rise further in the coming years. In Europe, Portugal and Spain are burning up-- even London will see temps over 100 degrees next week. If drum corps touring is to survive, the tour should turn northward. 

• Like 2

Summer Band Camps in July on a blacktop field were always terrible. Constant 100+ temperature for 1-2 hours. 

Personally, I'd want to see a competition in the Ford Center. 12,000 seater, indoors, well lit. Graduation there was great

• Like 2