Timeless Shows

52 minutes ago, lowend said:

Nothing prior to Bluecoats 2016 would be competitive now.  

The OP used the word "perform"..................I like that term, as it is audience-centered.

I'll add to a nice list already suggested with PR 2010 Into The Light.

Rennick's writing and the performance are for the eras.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Well the OP said "which shows would perform nearly as well" and the answer of "nothing prior to 2016 Bluecoats" was in response to that. 

I would find tons of the shows from the 80s and 90s to be entertaining today, but they would not be competitive 

Agree.   Shows are designed to complete well in the judging system in place at the time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

87 Santa Clara Vanguard 

87 Phantom Regiment

87 Sky Ryders

88 Santa Clara Vanguard

88 Suncoast Sound

89 Cavaliers

91 Blue Devils

91 Phantom  Regiment

93 Phantom Regiment

Edited by Zeke

88 Suncoast Sound

91 Blue Devils

other than the lack of props either of those shows would seem contemporary if fielded today

4 hours ago, lowend said:

Nothing prior to Bluecoats 2016 would be competitive now.  

This seems like a failure on DCI judging’s part, no? There should be a diversity of show styles and material that are equally competitive at equal levels of demand.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate how the "timeless" shows are (completely baseless guess) all shows from when people first fell in love with the activity. Much the way my "timeless" shows are Cavies '06 and Phantom '08.

It's like how for each person the best SNL cast is the one from when they were in middle school, regardless of the actual quality of that cast.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

I appreciate how the "timeless" shows are (completely baseless guess) all shows from when people first fell in love with the activity. Much the way my "timeless" shows are Cavies '06 and Phantom '08.

It's like how for each person the best SNL cast is the one from when they were in middle school, regardless of the actual quality of that cast.

They were just discussing that on the “Fly on the Wall” podcast I was listening to today. (Hosted by Dana Carvey & David Spade) Makes sense…