Timeless Shows

I'm old-school biased, and even though we lost to those %$#@*&*# - 1974 Santa Clara Vanguard is the epitome of Drum Corps "timelessness" in my book; Young Peoples Guide & Bottle Dance?  C'mon.

Guess it's a generational thing. 

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

To me this looks more of a list of crowd favorites at the time rather than timeless shows 

There was a time in Drum Corps when being a crowd favorite was paramount in show design. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1995 Madison Scouts. 

This year is my 30th year since seeing my first show live. 
I have never seen a crowd reaction since, in the way crowds reacted to this show at the time. (2008 Phantom Regiment came close, when seeing live). 
I saw this show three times live- And the experience the roar of the crowd from the rotating company front to the end was just incredible. 

There was something about 1995 Scouts that people were just going crazy for. When you have snare drum heads signed by the line selling at your souvenir stand, and selling out those heads at several shows- its probably as close to being rock stars in the activity as some might get. 
What you see in Buffalo as crowd reaction is so muddled, unfortunately with what DCI considered to be, “ a great partnership with IBM”. You don’t get the feel of it. I have watched the remastered version on the Essentials Blu Ray, which is better then then DVD and VHS I had of the show. 

But really, seeing that live, the reactions- and how Drum Corps World wrote about it that year- it was something incredible. 

I have heard about 1988 and the crowd reaction in Kansas City with that show. But I can’t say I was there to tell the tale….

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SCV 2016, Force of Nature

Star 1990 - Belshazzar's Feast

• Like 3

Suncoast 88 was an easy 20 years ahead in programming.

Star 93 single handedly redefined the direction of the activity 

Cadets 93 shear power and velocity plus the beauty of that Hymnsong.  There is no Star 93 without Cadets.

Phantom 93…this show has aged better than any other from the 90s.  They win if there was another night the way that show was coming on.

Blue Devils 94…redefined musical arrangements and staging over velocity/demand.

Cavies 95…percussion ensemble and visual design.

SCV 99 felt like the first show since Star 93 to refine the abstract and angst genre and the finals night product is the GOAT.

BD ‘03 capstone design and performance of what what started anew in ‘91.

Cavies ‘04…IHMO most cohesive show design I’ve ever seen. Performance wise not terrible either.

Phantom ‘06…severely underrated 

BD ‘10…far better than ‘09 and that says a lot.  Performance in every section was stellar and very abstract design.

Cadets ‘11…brilliant design and ge…makes up for some performance gaps

Crown ‘13…first 20 in brass since BD ‘04 and well deserved.

Bluecoats ‘16…another show to redefine the activity in terms of costuming and prop integration 

SCV ‘18…GOAT

• Like 3