I can't be the only one...

11 hours ago, ironlips said:

Ok, Youngblood. I dig your enthusiasm. Here's an Old School show that made me Mambo. If this doesn't make you move, go to the doctor and make sure your heart is beating (especially during "Siboney"):

Drum Corps icons Bobby Hoffman (timbales), Don Angelica and Jimmy D'Amico (sopranos) are featured here. They are your daddies, and you are a good kid because you respond physically to the music.

FD

Yesssss....

I grew up to listening to them on this LP:

OTYtMTM2Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 1

Tapspace Music (which is Murray Gusseck's company) published a standstill version of that Anima Mundi drum break called "Ramrod," if you want to see the sheet music.

Jim Casella and Murray Gusseck were absolute drum wizards back in the early 2000's.  To this day they're the most *musical* marching percussion books I've ever seen. Nobody has ever matched their total attention to the drum package serving as either a mirror or additional voice to the brass.  I can't say enough good things about how cool those Vanguard books were!

Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I'm more a conductor guy when listening.  That is, when not drumming out things on whatever nearby surface is available. 

Something I'll never lose is walking in time with the music....left foot first.  Happens with all types of music.  Then, when I suddenly find myself right foot first, I chuckle and just think I've joined the Cadets.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Continental said:

Something I'll never lose is walking in time with the music....left foot first.  Happens with all types of music.  Then, when I suddenly find myself right foot first, I chuckle and just think I've joined the Cadets.  

Oh this too. 💯 

19 hours ago, ironlips said:

Ok, Youngblood. I dig your enthusiasm. Here's an Old School show that made me Mambo. If this doesn't make you move, go to the doctor and make sure your heart is beating (especially during "Siboney"):

Drum Corps icons Bobby Hoffman (timbales), Don Angelica and Jimmy D'Amico (sopranos) are featured here. They are your daddies, and you are a good kid because you respond physically to the music.

FD

Luuuuucccyyyyy!!!

Wahhhhhhhh.....

Great stuff.

10 hours ago, Continental said:

Back when I used to try and pace my walking to old shows, I would make sure to step off left foot first, with the explicit exception of listening to Cadets shows.

A relevant webcomic:

keeping_time.png

(Hover-text: You can identify them ahead-of-time -- they lead with their left foot when the music starts.)

Edited by ftwdrummer
  • Haha 1