Saturday, July 23 ... “DCI Southwestern Championship” … Alamodome … SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Saturday, July 23… 1:30 PM CT

Weird to see that this show will end before 9:00 pm. Las time I attended the San Antonio show was 2014 and that ended pretty late.  

Granted Jersey Surf isn’t here but missing groups like Spirit, OC, Cascades and Pioneer makes you realize how much the activity changes.  

Good to see Genesis as the new addition.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

They did that with the Mary Poppins show for me.  I was like “ugh a Mary Poppins show?” When they announced. 

But then “Woo! A Mary Poppins show!” By finals cause they had us all joining in for Supercalifragalisticexpaladocious. 

Poppins is my FAVORITE Academy show. "Feed the Birds" ballad was stunning.

• Like 3

Yeah actually last year was “no place like home” and then 2013 was an Oz show. 

14 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I'm only furthering this convo because you addressed me directly. I apologize to those looking to focus on the Alamodome.

You're welcome to your opinion, but it's simply not in-line with leading youth protection practices in performing arts. https://www.ypadnow.com/ is a good example.

What are you actually arguing for here? Freedom to put young people in revealing clothing? When it's so unnecessary in so many cases? Does a little modesty for the sake of safety/wellbeing really not matter as much as the creative freedom of adult designers who don't have to endure the harassment that results from their decisions?

I'm coming from a damage recovery perspective here. I've helped students of all ages recover from the disclosure of their harassment and develop personal and organizational action plans as followup. When the activity has an ongoing legacy of sexual harassment, as it does, it may not hurt to pull back on revealing costumes for a bit until reports are reduced or eliminated, don't you think? During that time, train up staffs and MMs to recognize the signs, as they're doing, so they can stand up to the harassers themselves. It's not easy, so in the meantime, can we just harken back to the times when costumes didn't ever need to be revealing to be meaningful? Please?

I don't know why you're pushing back on me so hard. I endured the very thing we're talking about and it altered the course of my life. I've spent the last 20 years in praxis, learning how to prevent what happened to me from happening to other people. I just don't get it. I'm trying to help.

I am not coming after you or attacking you. I am merely pointing out that the idea that we need to have designers design less revealing clothes to protect members for harassment serves to further enable serial harassers. What’s needed is a societal change. 

We are saying similar things but differ in the approach to get there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlueStainGlass said:

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bw72cpxh1vcdzpr6tvf6

No. You're in Texas! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1