Wednesday, July 27th ... “DCI Southern Mississippi” … M M Roberts Stadium Hattiesburg, MISSISSIPPI

Blue Devils have made substantial changes in drill, music, staging and sound since San Antonio. The performance was what I’d expect when they have to think about new material in multiple areas. Knowing BD, they’ll be cleaning nonstop the rest of the week and will be ready for Atlanta. 

• Like 4

The Blue Devils are amazing! The drill at the end is much better. They changed a little music too. The whole show is there and I love it, but tonight the hot solo mics and FLO picking up too much from those mics was very distracting with every corps. It also exposed some issues I have with BD's soloists in Moon River and the closer. The scream solo trumpet in Cowboy Bebop is fine. Cowboy Bebop should just flat out ignite the audience when they clean that. 

Ok, a few suggestions Blue Devils: 

1) In Moon River once the full brass ensemble enters cut the trombone. He should not come in until near the end, just before the last trumpet tag. When the full brass enters the trombone on top of the full ensemble hit is just a mess. It clutters the amazing effect of that climax. Also, as a professional trombonist I am getting so tired of glissando after glissando in DCI (not just you BD). Good grief. The instrument can sound so much more beautiful than all the circus glissandos. Warm it up and have the young man play in more of a Tommy Dorsey style. Don't overdue the clown effect.

2) Please take the lead trumpet soloist out of the reprise of Moon River after the backfield company front in the closer. It's not working. Let him rest until you need him toward the end. I want to hear for melodic content from the full brass as the show builds to a close. 

Otherwise, what a corps and what a show. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

They were already within a point and BOOM again tonight within a point. 

1.475 was the last spread, so no.

However, on tonight’s spread, I was certainly wrong.

1 minute ago, Den8uml said:

Boston takes percussion and guard again. Also take note their GE and visual scores are much tighter.  

They should be. Boston been cleaning and BD have been making changes. 

Just now, MidWAmericanArts said:

Agree on most of this, but still averaging .4 down on GE per judge. None of those judges have a close margin for them. Won’t anticipate a close race until Indy at the very least, but I have Boston as my bronze.

Oh for sure, the score might not catch up until finals week, but I think BAC’s performances are making a good case for them as a gold contender. I think Crown’s still visually dirty enough that where they fall in this is unpredictable— if they clean, they’re gonna be a threat, and if not, then not.

BAC has the kinda show where their GE is gonna rise simply because they’ll be performing it better and better and with more fire. You can tell this is a corps that knows it has a shot.  

• Like 7

OK, I'm old but not entirely senile. Did somebody from BD find an old piece of football tarp and say, let's see how much mileage we can get out of this? I don't understand the significance. If one of you young bloods could explain the tarp to me, I would appreciate it. Are they seeing how gullible people are, or is there a reason for using it?

Just now, jwillis35 said:

The Blue Devils are amazing! The drill at the end is much better. They changed a little music too. The whole show is there and I love it, but tonight the hot solo mics and FLO picking up too much from those mics was very distracting with every corps. It also exposed some issues I have with BD's soloists in Moon River and the closer. The scream solo trumpet in Cowboy Bebop is fine. Cowboy Bebop should just flat out ignite the audience when they clean that. 

Ok, a few suggestions Blue Devils: 

1) In Moon River once the full brass ensemble enters cut the trombone. He should not come in until near the end, just before the last trumpet tag. When the full brass enters the trombone on top of the full ensemble hit is just a mess. It clutters the amazing effect of that climax. Also, as a professional trombonist I am getting so tired of glissando after glissando in DCI (not just you BD). Good grief. The instrument can sound so much more beautiful than all the circus glissandos. Warm it up and have the young man play in more of a Tommy Dorsey style. Don't overdue the clown effect.

2) Please take the lead trumpet soloist out of the reprise of Moon River after the backfield company front in the closer. It's not working. Let him rest until you need him toward the end. I want to hear for melodic content from the full brass as the show builds to a close. 

Otherwise, what a corps and what a show. 

Spot on recommendations about Moon River, IMHO. 

Hehe...as for the glissandos, I think that they should have stopped after Cavies did 'em in Men are from Mars with the mash-up of Mars and I Did It My Way...that was way cool, stop, enough done!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1