Sunday, July 31st 5:15 PM “NightBEAT: The greatest show on Turf” … Truist Field at Wake Forest University Winston-Salem, NORTH CAROLINA

6 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

WGI is actually really nice at wiggle room.  Several 5 seconds over that they gave us as passingtime between groups

Dci uses the same philosophy on wiggle room

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Thanks for clarifying, Cappy. Yes. This.

I only just realized that this is what bugs me personally about both shows last night. So I thought I'd voice it to the community. But both corps do such an inspired job with them that I can also easily enjoy them despite my personal preference. Besides the high-achieving MMs have no call on theme, so they're just doing what they're told.

No need to jump to their defenses, other folks. If you don't know my love for these two groups right now and are trying to defend them from me, then you haven't been paying attention. 😉 My take on BAC is much most subtle than simply, I don't like the religious theme, but nobody asked that.

I thought it was about the Meatloaf song 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

Does a vid of that performance exist?

I don’t think the full show does, but I agree. The corps was on fire that night. It was like they exorcised certain demons

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Finally, someone said it first so I can repeat it and not feel scared. I'm totally cool with religious/mythological imagery (Inferno, Wicked Games, Goliath, Angels and Demons) but this is the REAL reason I always talk about how much I hate Cadets 2017. Unlike the above examples, that show is just plain uncomfortable to watch. Having samples of prayers in the show, the marchers sitting on the pews... as an atheist it really makes me cringe. In fact, I'm going to say this now and I don't care about the hate I'll get for this: The Cadets (as an organization) make me REALLY uncomfortable. This isn't any hate towards anyone in the Cadets past and present, but between that awful army show they did and 2017's cringefest, it really makes me wonder some things about the people in charge😳

We’ll some new faces are there since then. One might say cringe worthy design decisions are in the rearview mirror 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JohnZ said:

Y'all/yinz need to step away from the religion thingy...just a suggestion... 

quite an interesting season, to say the least.

thanks!

z

Amen 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I’d be interested to see a drum corps’ take on something like that. It would really depend on how they source the design. It’s very difficult to portray something like a culture because cultures are so complex. They can’t be fully understood unless you fully immerse yourself in it, and I’m not sure any current corps has someone on the design staff that would fit that bill for the concept you mentioned 

How many of us have been introduced to a band or a composer because of drum corps? For me, plenty.

While I agree with what you're saying, I think there's an incredible missed opportunity to introduce new genres of music to a likely willing audience. 

I'd love to hear what Bluecoats, say, could do with some Bollywood tunes.

24 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

So what did you say about Cadets in 2017? 😉 

Like most of us, he shook his head and said “ look backflip Jesus!”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Finally, someone said it first so I can repeat it and not feel scared. I'm totally cool with religious/mythological imagery (Inferno, Wicked Games, Goliath, Angels and Demons) but this is the REAL reason I always talk about how much I hate Cadets 2017. Unlike the above examples, that show is just plain uncomfortable to watch. Having samples of prayers in the show, the marchers sitting on the pews... as an atheist it really makes me cringe. In fact, I'm going to say this now and I don't care about the hate I'll get for this: The Cadets (as an organization) make me REALLY uncomfortable. This isn't any hate towards anyone in the Cadets past and present, but between that awful army show they did and 2017's cringefest, it really makes me wonder some things about the people in charge😳

As others have pointed out, the cringe-y stuff in 2017, the featured Angel in 2011 and 2012 were very much the product of one individual pushing his thumb onto the design staff. Despite their origin, the corps was primarily known for celebrating the work of American composers for decades. Even when they did an excerpt from Mass in 1990, it was restrained, unlike 2017. The weird message-y self-help stuff mainly happened in the later days, much to the detriment of the organization. But that chapter is now, thankfully, closed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3