Sunday, July 31st 5:15 PM “NightBEAT: The greatest show on Turf” … Truist Field at Wake Forest University Winston-Salem, NORTH CAROLINA

22 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I don't find the show overtly religious in presentation, but it is the third somewhat religious-based theme they've had in the past few years: Salem Witch Trials, David & Goliath, and now this. It was enough to get my attention and wonder if this is a focused choice by the design team to lean into the Crusaders name and founding history of the corps as a source of identity. They don't go over the top with it, but it does seem to signal some intent.

ooooo, interesting.  

Actually, another take (and not religious) if you add SOS, with it's inspiration from Lord of the Flies, to the list, I am sure a smarter person than me can identify a trend in the literary themes common to all four.  Something about humanity's struggle against giving into fear, temptation and their inner demons.

Maybe, I dunno, I sucked at lit.

KVG help us out.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Respectfully, how do we discuss a show based on Milton without it?

Just want to know the rules better....

Here on DCP, we have straw men (or straw people, if you will).

If you say "I'm not a fan of those red flags," then they say "oh, so you're saying that red shouldn't exist on this planet," then the topic devolves from there, and the thread is closed. 

We've already seen an example of this kind of pot stirring in an otherwise enlightening conversation. And I do mean enlightening... as I alluded to before, I didn't get a religious vibe at all from BAC. Someone mention Goliath, and quite literally the same there. Sure, they are biblical (torahic) stories, but religiosity didn't even dawn on me. I'm fascinated by others seeing it, and I think it's worth discussing (sans straw people).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, runyancm said:

ooooo, interesting.  

Actually, another take (and not religious) if you add SOS, with it's inspiration from Lord of the Flies, to the list, I am sure a smarter person than me can identify a trend in the literary themes common to all four.  Something about humanity's struggle against giving into fear, temptation and their inner demons.

Maybe, I dunno, I sucked at lit.

KVG help us out.....

Yeah there's a literary trend

Animal Farm (Animal Farm)
A Game of Thrones (Conquest)
Don Quixote (Quixotic) 
The Crucible (Wicked Games)
Lord of the Flies (SOS)
David and Goliath (Goliath)
Paradise Lost (Paradise Lost) 

Zoom is the outlier...heh.

They've all had fairly humanistic reads to me as "literary greats."  That is they're less a message about religion or trying to broadcast religious meanings (when they do intersect with religion) and more a humanities approach and inquiries into human nature.    

Animal Farm (Animal Farm) - we're political beasts...this applies to drum corps too
A Game of Thrones (Conquest) - rise and fall of dynasties. (this one feels like I'm trying to hard to read it into the pattern though to be honest.)
Don Quixote (Quixotic) - The folly of heroism.
The Crucible (Wicked Games) - The dangers of scapegoating
Lord of the Flies (SOS) - we'll eat each other if it comes down to it.
David and Goliath (Goliath) - we tend to root for the underdog
Paradise Lost (Paradise Lost) - even our articulated ideal state is ultimately corruptible

And if we wanna try to force Zoom into it - The pandemic did things to how we communicate digitally and visual now and we're not sure how we feel about them despite finding them kinda cool.  (again...forced) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Here on DCP, we have straw men (or straw people, if you will).

If you say "I'm not a fan of those red flags," then they say "oh, so you're saying that red shouldn't exist on this planet," then the topic devolves from there, and the thread is closed. 

We've already seen an example of this kind of pot stirring in an otherwise enlightening conversation. And I do mean enlightening... as I alluded to before, I didn't get a religious vibe at all from BAC. Someone mention Goliath, and quite literally the same there. Sure, they are biblical (torahic) stories, but religiosity didn't even dawn on me. I'm fascinated by others seeing it, and I think it's worth discussing (sans straw people).

Succinct and I would agree. The tendency toward straw man arguments is rife not only here but all over social media.  It causes jumps to conclusions that lead to arguing.   Well put.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boston ought to do a show about libraries next season....hah!

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Someone on here showed me it a while ago, I wanna say 2014? Only prop was this weird podium/bridge and there was constant narration about America this, America that

oh, the horrors! 🙄

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I won't add to this since I'm clearly already in hot water in this thread... despite my proven, active, and enduring commitment to the betterment of the activity.

Suffice to say I'm glad you said this and support your freedom to continue to express it. I worry that no one else will.

Ok, I’m not taking score, but how many of us are on the bad side of this thread, and how many of are on the good ? Just asking for a friend, who maybe just had a beer…….. but also loves this activity, in its entirety, all inclusive 

2 minutes ago, Onionhead2 said:

Ok, I’m not taking score, but how many of us are on the bad side of this thread, and how many of are on the good ? Just asking for a friend, who maybe just had a beer…….. but also loves this activity, in its entirety, all inclusive 

Eh, I'm seeing less 'good and bad' just ... people. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

All this said, I highly doubt the creative team or board is sitting around saying, "Let's make statements about humanity for the next 8 years".   They're looking for 'compelling stories' and finding them literature.  The only show of the above I see that looks intentional about 'making a statement' is Animal Farm.  And it was (and is) one of my instant favorites. Angry BAC was great that year.  And the music writing is a book I still enjoy listening to.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Onionhead2 said:

I'm bad obviously. Throw me in jail for saying I struggle with a high achieving show because it is based on themes I personality struggle with. (This is not aimed at you Onion.)

If I were to turn it on my own house, I'd mention a good friend of mine, and alum, who would probably struggle with Finding Nirvana, the show. They have a background of trauma related to zen Buddhism. I'm not going to try and convince her that she shouldn't feel that way about it just because it's been masterfully abstracted.

Unlike the straw men here, I'd say cool, let's go get a beer instead. And, if they felt like looking at it and analyzing it, I'd listen to them first, not push my own perspective.

I'm not saying to choose themes based on people like us. But both corps just might get even more traction by tapping the endless world of creative possibilities outside of religious adjacency.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1