Sunday, July 31st 5:15 PM “NightBEAT: The greatest show on Turf” … Truist Field at Wake Forest University Winston-Salem, NORTH CAROLINA

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

I feel like I'm back discussing Inferno and the Dantean symbolism v. messaging again by the way.   A lot of people respond in ways that make me feel like, "I don't think this person has read the work."

9b91b0df-f5c1-4b95-b546-d31292a8a045_tex

😉

Yes. And I won't be reading the work because I get less than nothing from reading Christian theological texts. (I know your comment wasn't aimed at me so this isn't aimed back at you, promise. ) And besides how does a show based on the poems of Christian giant not retain its theocratic themes and still remain true to the text anyway? Yes there's abstraction that I very much appreciate and enjoy, but riddle me that.

And, for others, I have a great capacity for not enjoying a theme AND still really enjoying a show immensely at the same time. I recommend more fans try it some time.

I don't have to enjoy Paradise Lost in the same way or for the same reasons as BAC fans.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Finally, someone said it first so I can repeat it and not feel scared. I'm totally cool with religious/mythological imagery (Inferno, Wicked Games, Goliath, Angels and Demons) but this is the REAL reason I always talk about how much I hate Cadets 2017. Unlike the above examples, that show is just plain uncomfortable to watch. Having samples of prayers in the show, the marchers sitting on the pews... as an atheist it really makes me cringe. In fact, I'm going to say this now and I don't care about the hate I'll get for this: The Cadets (as an organization) make me REALLY uncomfortable. This isn't any hate towards anyone in the Cadets past and present, but between that awful army show they did and 2017's cringefest, it really makes me wonder some things about the people in charge😳

Awful army show?  2002?

It may please you to know that many of the ppl in charge in 2017, including the cahuna, are no longer there. 

17 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Not if it's Milton.  I mean.  He's explicitly Christian and making an explicitly Christian reading of the Torahic story with the concept of Original Sin.  A Jewish reading of that story is not gonna carry any concept of Original Sin.    

That wasn't really the point, but noted

15 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Finally, someone said it first so I can repeat it and not feel scared. I'm totally cool with religious/mythological imagery (Inferno, Wicked Games, Goliath, Angels and Demons) but this is the REAL reason I always talk about how much I hate Cadets 2017. Unlike the above examples, that show is just plain uncomfortable to watch. Having samples of prayers in the show, the marchers sitting on the pews... as an atheist it really makes me cringe. In fact, I'm going to say this now and I don't care about the hate I'll get for this: The Cadets (as an organization) make me REALLY uncomfortable. This isn't any hate towards anyone in the Cadets past and present, but between that awful army show they did and 2017's cringefest, it really makes me wonder some things about the people in charge😳

I won't add to this since I'm clearly already in hot water in this thread... despite my proven, active, and enduring commitment to the betterment of the activity.

Suffice to say I'm glad you said this and support your freedom to continue to express it. I worry that no one else will.

• Like 1

I'm fine with a dive

4 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

That wasn't really the point, but noted

It's all good

3 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

Awful army show?  2002?

Someone on here showed me it a while ago, I wanna say 2014? Only prop was this weird podium/bridge and there was constant narration about America this, America that

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I won't add to this since I'm clearly already in hot water in this thread... despite my proven, active, and enduring commitment to the betterment of the activity.

Suffice to say I'm glad you said this and support your freedom to continue to express it. I worry that no one else will.

Thank you so much. You are truly doing so much for the betterment of drum corps.

And I got plenty of room for people who don't like religious themes in shows.  I get it. It's often connected to traumas. 

I also got plenty of room for people who do want to touch on the many varieties and threads of religious themes that run through American life.  

It's a pluralistic society after all, and one of our strengths as a nation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, JohnZ said:

Y'all/yinz need to step away from the religion thingy...just a suggestion... 

quite an interesting season, to say the least.

thanks!

z

ta.  I'm done here.