SCV trilogy that never was

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

A shame those of us that marched will carry with us. Or at least, it sets apart from other alum on a pretty stark way. Note that I don't feel that way, but alum pressure can be tricky at times.

Anyone who marched Scheherazade has nothing to be ashamed of IMO!!! 🙂 I love that SCV decade…. 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003… let me stop before I just list every show.  

SCV put out killer shows that decade and the early 2010s and I don’t think people give them enough credit for really really exploring the limits of what this activity could offer. No, they were not always the most popular shows. But I still can’t believe shows like Bartok happened and am so glad that they did. And the way they switched it up between fan-friendly and boundary pushing remains iconic LOL. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

giphy.gif

Seconded. Could be the greatest multiple endings show since And A Shot Rang Out (poor Trixie)

Omg I love that scene

• Thanks 1

Just now, chris ncsu said:

Omg I love that scene

Its the best.  THe first time I saw it with my friends in the theater the whole place just bust out laughing and missed like the full next scene.  

Then it we'd wait for it and hype up before it hit when watching it again in other theaters

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Anyone who marched Scheherazade has nothing to be ashamed of IMO!!! 🙂 I love that SCV decade…. 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003… let me stop before I just list every show.

That's very kind of you, sax, thanks. And I swear I'm not fishing. I'm in contact with alum whose stories compel me to shine light where it wasn't before.

I think 04 got a pass because of its massive popularity. I speak to this decade that way because alum pride runs deep, and when shows are tough to latch onto thematically it's easier for alum to be critical. Won't air too much dirty laundry here, but when I say this years were tough, I mean it.

19 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

SCV put out killer shows that decade and the early 2010s and I don’t think people give them enough credit for really really exploring the limits of what this activity could offer. No, they were not always the most popular shows. But I still can’t believe shows like Bartok happened and am so glad that they did. And the way they switched it up between fan-friendly and boundary pushing remains iconic LOL. 

This is the SC I experienced. This is the SC I fell head over heels for. That, despite our name, people are confused by our shows and their boundary pushing nature continues to baffle me.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1

I remember dcp buzz in the departure year (2009) was how smart SCV was being with their musical choices for the first year in Lucas Oil.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

2002 is EXTREMELY underrated - not in placement but in history. Hanson and the Copland organ symphony are iconic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I can’t recall the 2007 SCV show to save my life.

I liked that 2008 show with the minimalism

2009 was magnificent too.

! EUREKA!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

2002 is EXTREMELY underrated - not in placement but in history. Hanson and the Copland organ symphony are iconic.

Period!!!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

My son marched tenors with Vanguard Cadets in 2008, and then with SCV in 09 and 10. Ballet for Martha has been my favorite show ever since, and I absolutely LOVED Bartok. SCV was my son’s dream corps and he was thrilled and honored to march with them until he aged out. I’m so sad to hear that anyone struggles with alumni issues. I don’t think my son ever has. SCV affected his life enormously. He has been a tenor tech with finalist corps ever since (as well as WGI). Still being involved with DCI gives him life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2