Tuesday, August 2nd “DCI Annapolis” Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium Annapolis, MARYLAND

4 minutes ago, bluecoats88 said:

scoring should be based on relativity to others in that show and how the corps performed in that show.  first corps on should get a score based on the sheets and the judges best interpretation of those sheets.  2nd corps on should be given a score commensurate with how much better or worse the judge assessed them to be in relation to the previous corps and  give them a number accordingly. rinse and repeat through the remainder of the corps.

Yes, that's pretty much the philosophy. As you know, it's called "contest dynamics". It's what got the Bluecoats into finals that first time, when you were marching.

3 hours ago, lawdn said:

Given how many DCPers dismiss the assessments of highly-experienced, trained judges whose job it is to award the actual scores, apparently no one on Earth can accurately assess the activity.  Maybe it is time to turn that over to AI and machine learning, and we will see how the activity evolves.

Sure Why not AI?  😁

Seriously I think if criteria is as subjective free as possible (And  it probably isn’t) than everyone would probably feel better about outcomes .

I say let the members in the corps themselves create the criteria for a judging system?  Be curious to see what they come up with. 😊

You know the saying in competitive youth activities,  

“the kids are great it’s the adults that ruin things “

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

“the kids are great it’s the adults that ruin things “

Having coached kid's hockey for many many years I can sure testify to that.

3 hours ago, lawdn said:

You always make a good case re: performance and scoring - thank you. The ordinal idea is intriguing and could reduce arbitrary spreads, with the one downside being large differentials in a corps’ content and achievement versus other corps not being reflected, but there will always be tradeoffs.

Could you please clarify for me what you mean by linear equation? Much appreciated.

Based upon what a corps has scored previously in the same sub caption prior to the corps current performance in that same sub caption. If for example corps 'A' received an 18.2 in a sub caption and in the current show the same sub caption is scored 18.3, because the judges believe that corps 'A' to be at least an 18.2 based upon their last score in that sub caption.

• Thanks 1