Tuesday, August 2nd “DCI Annapolis” Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium Annapolis, MARYLAND

14 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

This is a nice story but clearly this person who saw a drum corps for the first time was attracted to what they know most.   How much does the same person know about flag , rifle and saber mechanics and technique?

it’s not dance troop it’s color guard 

Given how many DCPers dismiss the assessments of highly-experienced, trained judges whose job it is to award the actual scores, apparently no one on Earth can accurately assess the activity.  Maybe it is time to turn that over to AI and machine learning, and we will see how the activity evolves.

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lawdn said:

Given how many DCPers dismiss the assessments of highly-experienced, trained judges whose job it is to award the actual scores, apparently no one on Earth can accurately assess the activity.  Maybe it is time to turn that over to AI and machine learning, and we will see how the activity evolves.

I mean, people get an opinion, and people can also disagree - it's human. So yes, I guess AI is the way..

8 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I mean, people get an opinion, and people can also disagree - it's human. So yes, I guess AI is the way..

To me the inevitable subjective element in turning an activity with artistic elements into a judged competition is part of the fascination.  I have no issue with people trying to understand the scores and sometimes disagreeing with them when they give clear reasons for it, and that can be part of the fun, but to me judges can’t be “wrong” because they are the ones hired to do the job, and their scores are official and final. Anyway, if we all agreed with with the scores all the time, it would take away literally decades of entertainment on DCP with rehashing of past years’ results.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I mean, people get an opinion, and people can also disagree - it's human. 

Assessment/evaluation and scoring are very different! IMO scores are irrelevant and we’re made irrelevant with the hundreds of a point adoption.

IMO Ordinal’s are better because you are recognized in relationship to other performances. No one judging can explain a tenth delta within any one sub caption, so just enter the ordinal.

The fact that a judge can change any score for any corps while the show is still taking place is also where we have unrealistic scoring. BTW scoring for any event is linear based on previous scores within sub captions.

It would be refreshing to see scoring based on each individual performance instead of the linear equation. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

BTW scoring for any event is linear based on previous scores within sub captions.

It would be refreshing to see scoring based on each individual performance instead of the linear equation.

You always make a good case re: performance and scoring - thank you. The ordinal idea is intriguing and could reduce arbitrary spreads, with the one downside being large differentials in a corps’ content and achievement versus other corps not being reflected, but there will always be tradeoffs.

Could you please clarify for me what you mean by linear equation? Much appreciated.

Dusting off my adjudicator hat for a moment, permit me the following opinion:

Our entire beloved activity is built upon a logical absurdity, i.e., that it is possible to assign a precise (or even relative) quantitative value to something which is qualitative in nature.

It will only ever be an exercise in approximation, at best.

Hat off. Horns down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, lawdn said:

I'm on Earth and can assess the activity.

The shows I like win - there is the assessment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Assessment/evaluation and scoring are very different! IMO scores are irrelevant and we’re made irrelevant with the hundreds of a point adoption.

IMO Ordinal’s are better because you are recognized in relationship to other performances. No one judging can explain a tenth delta within any one sub caption, so just enter the ordinal.

The fact that a judge can change any score for any corps while the show is still taking place is also where we have unrealistic scoring. BTW scoring for any event is linear based on previous scores within sub captions.

scoring should be based on relativity to others in that show and how the corps performed in that show.  first corps on should get a score based on the sheets and the judges best interpretation of those sheets.  2nd corps on should be given a score commensurate with how much better or worse the judge assessed them to be in relation to the previous corps and  give them a number accordingly. rinse and repeat through the remainder of the corps.

• Thanks 1