Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

3 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

I’m doubling down here and hope this doesn’t come off as rude, but I feel like there is a pretty strong correlation between people who think that Crown show is one of the best designs of all time and people who spent June and early July talking about how Crown’s GE was going to be off the charts this year.

Not me. I’ve never been in love with Crown’s show this year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Guess I am wrong everyone. "Flat out wrong" according to Henry

If the conditions on the two nights had been more comparable, I would agree, but Friday had huge storms just before the show, a delay, and then everything wet and really soggy air. The top 3 were all noticeably off their game.

I have no doubt the panel tried to honestly rank all they saw as one group, but tonight’s corps had a clear environmental advantage that resulted in stronger relative performances.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Not me. I think this year’s Crown concept is a dud. The last three minutes is amazing. The middle six…ugh.

Contrast this with Inferno. It’s like two exact opposite design approaches.

I could’ve sworn that you were talking up Crown’s show design in late June/early July. I must be wrong and mixing you up with somebody else. My mistake!

• Thanks 1

Just now, NakedEye said:

If the conditions on the two nights had been more comparable, I would agree, but Friday had huge storms just before the show, a delay, and then everything wet and really soggy air. The top 3 were all noticeably off their game.

I have no doubt the panel tried to honestly rank all they saw as one group, but tonight’s corps had a clear environmental advantage that resulted in stronger relative performances.

Which is why I said in my first comment that the conditions were different, but the judges don't forget how they judged the night before

1 minute ago, NakedEye said:

i will grant that on a more humid night the judges have every right to be crankier 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

Their percussion is their achille's heel. 

Not tonight. Their percussion line has come on strong the last week or so. The Blue Stars should easily attain their highest score ever next weekend. It will be fun to see how they complete the new ending.

Edited by mcjordansc
  • Like 1

Just now, NakedEye said:

Honestly, I don’t know that I believe much of anything that is the scores now. It seems like it’s just a bunch of dudes squinting and saying, yeah that’s .2 better tonight. It’s nonsense, really.

At this point it seems like the activity has chosen its top three, and it really doesn’t matter what happens now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, drumhead31 said:

I wouldn't argue with anyone over it, and I know the scores from both nights should be comparable, but I'm never sure they really are. I think Allentown should be all corps on the same night. I know, tradition, etc, but I think that's the only way to know for sure.

Or, if you can’t do them all in one night (I’m not really sure why), maybe do top 8 on Saturday and the rest on Friday? I’m sure the judges try to account for both nights in their scoring, but I don’t think it’s entirely possible when you are watching and listening to corps that are playing 24 hours or more apart from each other.