Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

43 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The scores ARE meant to be compared between nights, period. Crown is currently in 2nd place. The weather conditions were very different, but the scores are still very much valid

I'm just going to leave it. There is no point it going in circles. You think you're right, I think I'm right. Let's just leave it at that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I'm just going to leave it. There is no point it going in circles. You think you're right, I think I'm right. Let's just leave it at that.

This isn’t a matter of opinion, my friend. No matter how much you want it to be. These are facts straight from DCI. If you want to blind yourself with your hard headedness, feel free, but just keep in mind it’s that same attitude that got you a suspension in the Crown thread. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

This isn’t a matter of opinion, my friend. No matter how much you want it to be. These are facts straight from DCI. If you want to blind yourself with your hard headedness, feel free, but just keep in mind it’s that same attitude that got you a suspension in the Crown thread. 

I'm not saying you're wrong that Crown is in 2nd. The only thing I am certain of relating to Crown is they aren't 1st and they aren't 5th or lower.

I'm not blind. I don't take the word of anyone, even DCI, as fact. It doesn't make any sense. Of course, DCI is going to say that. What else would they say?

Judging is done live the night of the event. It is not done in hindsight. The brass judge doesn't say at the end of Crown's performance, "Geez, I gave BD a 19.3 last night. Was Crown better or worse than BD? Think! Think! Think! I have to remember BD's 11 minute performance tonight to give Crown the right number." No, the judge compares Crown's performance to the other performances of the night and gives his/her score.

Do I think the scores are relatively in line? Yes, but it's not a perfect match up and you can't assume Crown is in 2nd because they scored higher than Bluecoats and Boston. They may very well be, and hey very well might not be, but we won't know that until Indy.

And that was a low blow re: the suspension. It had nothing to do with being passionate and expressing my opinions forcefully and everything to do with how nasty and rude I was. I am not being those things with this discussion. 

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Um, the judging panel wasn't the same. So can't really treat it as "one show" and given conditions were better on Saturday, it makes it even harder to compare. I'd say BD is probably further ahead of Crown than the different scores suggest... Just a hunch.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Do I think the scores are relatively in line? Yes, but it's not a perfect match up and you can't assume Crown is in 2nd because they scored higher than Bluecoats and Boston. They may very well be, and hey very well might not be, but we won't know that until Indy.

I'm now thinking Crown is headed for a solid 4th, just like 2019 - the show just hasn't grown this season. Other than getting cleaner and adding more fabric.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Um, the judging panel wasn't the same. So can't really treat it as "one show" and given conditions were better on Saturday, it makes it even harder to compare. I'd say BD is probably further ahead of Crown than the different scores suggest... Just a hunch.  

Am I missing something? Fromthepressbox indicates an identical judging panel for both nights. If they made a mistake then I’ll obviously retract but it seems like the panels were exactly the same, even down to the missing music analysis judge 

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

Sorry, Henry. We agree on an awful lot, but Allentown has always been considered one event. I get that they aren’t comparing everyone under the same circumstances but that’s part of what makes it unique.   And frustrating!  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Everyone, Crownies alike, seemed to agree BD and BAC did not have great runs Friday.   I think most agree Crown DID have a good run Saturday. I think the scores/spread reflects that accurately. 

i HOPE they all have great runs Thursday thru Saturday so that doesn’t become the talking point. 

2 hours ago, henry7184 said:

It’s more like, you think you’re right and everyone else thinks you’re wrong.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Am I missing something? Fromthepressbox indicates an identical judging panel for both nights. If they made a mistake then I’ll obviously retract but it seems like the panels were exactly the same, even down to the missing music analysis judge 

The published recaps list Webb as MA for Saturday night (like he was for Friday night). However, at the start of Saturday night’s show the announcer announced a different judge on MA. However, it’s also very possible that they didn’t give the announcer an updated judges list on Saturday night (like how they didn’t give him an updated schedule on Friday night and he almost went to internission).