Monday, August 8th “DCI Open Class Championship Prelims” Wildcat Football Stadium at Indiana Wesleyan University Marion, INDIANA

8 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

cost plus the additional numbers added to corps size overall.  opened up positions further up the food chain.  plus guard tend to follow instructors from winter to summer.  if some opted to take a summer off, so did the students

But it's not like CG members wouldn't pay membership fees. I get maybe competing all winter and spring is too exhausting so they want their summers off, but there are A LOT of winterguards and percussion groups and I don't see any issues with corps filling up percussion sections. Another CA Open corps had a huge battery and pit and 5 brass and 2 or 3 guard. It's just strange to see such small cg's in OC this year. I don't remember it being this bad pre-covid.

Edited by CAtenhut

Battery is playing with some major gumption and purpose. I like the ballziness. 

Just now, CAtenhut said:

But it's not like CG members wouldn't pay membership fees. I get maybe competing all winter and spring is too exhausting so they want their summers off, but there are A LOT of winterguards and percussion groups and I don't see any issues with corps filling up percussion sections. Another CA Open corps had a huge battery and pit and 5 brass and 2 or 3 guard. It's just strange to see such small cg's in OC this year. I don't remembering it being this bad pre-covid.

I think a lot of guard focused on indoor season this year since they'd lost the previous season.  I was talking to a former guard member of my HS whose daughter got into guard and she's totally disinterested in doing a field show, even for her HS band.  But very into indoor.  

Nice job 7th.   Very respectable.   Hopefully next year they'll be back to their usual size.

9 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Something I noticed quite a bit this year is the lack of colorguard members in these Open corps. One corps in CA had ZERO guard so they were getting 0 or 0.1 on the score sheets for the CG caption. Raiders only had 3. Does anyone know why?

Yea that was Impulse with zero CG. 

• Like 1

Alright 7R! Always enjoyable but that was probably one of the nicer shows since the closed with Total Eclipse of the Heart.  

Just now, Chief Guns said:

Yea that was Impulse with zero CG. 

It seems some of the CA groups are doing a WGI percussion line > Sound Sport > OC route for development.  Impulse has been around for some time though.

The Indoor Percussion scene in CA is huge.  

• Like 1

There's TX bands that have gone without a guard too.  I forget which one of the big programs basically competed and did so well without a guard for a number of years.

I think a lot of these OC corps have smarter designers than the WC corps. So far every corps has stayed within their bounds and not tried anything insanely impossible for the kids to perform. Not taking a lot of chances that would look like some poor imitation of a WC corps. 

17 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Yah. I think that's what's keeping them ahead of the Colt Cadets and Les Stentors.  

Les Stentors battery played nothing more intense than 16th notes and buzz rolls. No real rudiments (ie. drags, flams, triplet rolls, etc).

Edited by denverjohn
typo