Granny's Top 5. What's Yours?

Phantom

Crown

Scv

Mandarins

Boston

• Like 2

For Video, my top 4 (order not important) would be:  Crown, Colts, Troopers, and The Academy.  For the 5th, I'd probably go with Bluecoats (Did I just say that?).  However, I wouldn't be disappointed if it were the Mandarins or BAC instead.  

For the record, I'm really glad it's not an Audio question because that would be much tougher for me to choose.

• Like 1

1. Phantom Regiment (from a music perspective it's just not close, this is the book I love)

2. Blue Devils (from a total show perspective and total performance this one fascinates me)

3. Bluecoats (So creative and daring)

4. Boston Crusaders (clean, superb writing, elegant)

5. The Cadets (great story, wonderful use of field, nice music book)

OTHERS

• Crown (big moments, great music, overuse of "right here right now."
  • SCV (love the music ensemble)
  • Troopers (Bold)
  • Mandarins
  • Colts 
  • Like 5

1) Phantom Regiment - It's a breath of fresh air, inspirational, and pure "Phantom". Probably the best or second best use of props this year. They're like members with their own dots.

2) Bluecoats - This show is fresh, hip, and just good music and interesting visually. I could do with less props, but they do use them well. I love the hampster wheels. That's very creative.

3) Mandarins - Such a fresh design. Love me some Pink Floyd. The singer is great. I love how they partition the field, and they use the props for interesting visual interest. They seem to have stalled though.

4) Troopers - Gosh, I want them to make it to Saturday night!

5) SCV - It's trying to blend old school with current design trends. Perhaps some design misses with color, but I appreciate the effort to transition gracefully. It does have elements of 2018, but it's not too over the top. Honestly, their props aren't the best. The final prop formation is creative though.

6) GOLD - What can I say? They're awesome and Chief's son is rocking that tuba! I respect 'em!

7) Boston - I love that they're trying to blend old with new in the design. Perhaps a bit "antiseptic" and devoid of emotion, especially compared to their previous recent designs, but I see the champion in there. I really love the cones, and I'm impressed by the creativity and unobtrusiveness of them.

😎 Blue Stars - I really love the brass and guard book. They move well. The show stays on medium the whole time though. The props are probably too much too. This is a solid corps.

9) Cadets - I really love that the Cadets are back! Now lets do something more forward thinking next year! The props might not be the best, but I love that you use an alto horn for a solo! I'm all about trying different brass instruments in this activity.

The drill is nice.

10) Colts - I hope you make finals. You've been building well for many years. I'm crossing my fingers that you make it.

Bunch of the corps go into here.

Least Favorites

1) Blue Devils - I'm super tired of the formula. It's antiseptic in the sense that it is free of disturbing or unpleasant features, and it's also free of pleasant features ( passion for example). Hate on me, laugh, or whatever... I criticise my corps too, so...  Great prop usage, the guard moves well. The brass move well. Everyone moves well. I just don't enjoy the design aesthetic in regards to brass arrangements, pacing, content, and whatever else is going to influence everyone else when they win again. I've even seen Boston doing the hand claw thing that BD does every other year. Obviously, Blue Devils are one of the "best' marching units in our activity, so I'm not claiming otherwise.

2) Crossmen - I'm sorry, I want to like your show, and it has good elements, it's just me. I'm not getting into the music, but I appreciate the sophistication and thought put into this program. It just comes across as stiff and feels like there's something missing.

3) Blue Knights - I'm sorry, It's me and the arrangements. I can tell that they're going for a mature design, but the musical arrangements don't backup the effort of the players. The visual is a step down too. I know it's difficult to transition into a new era within the organization. I am grateful that you guys blessed us with incredible shows during this latest era from 2013 forward. Last year and now this year is a different direction.

4) Cavaliers - It pains me to no end. Visual design is a step down. There are too many obvious opportunities not taken, which is weird that certain things weren't in the design from the beginning.

Props are a step down compared to everyone else. Guard book and equipment is a step down. Percussion is a big plus. Brass is decent performing, but caption bleed is going to prevent the brass score from being too different than the overall placement for a super secret judgy reason...  Next time, be less Blue Devils-like and be more Cavalier...

• Like 6

Phantom

Blue Stars

Crown

Boston

Cadets

• Like 1

Never an easy task, this year too - except for ...  Number 1.  In general, this is not one of DCI's better more recent years for entertainment, in my opinion.

1.  Phantom Regiment - It's not even close.  Best Music Book on the field.  Wish it was getting a bit more credit, but I don't really care.  It will dominate my playlist all year.  So passionate, so aggressive, so emotional.  Phantom is Phantom again, and all is right with the Universe.

2.  Troopers - I fell in love with this show upon first viewing in Ogden.  It's a shame they got hit so hard by Covid.  Even more astounding that they have a real shot at Finals anyway.  I'm rooting hard for them.  Love the program design, love the dark, raw power, and that ending... Oh my.

3.  Mandarins - Great, innovative show, with some nice musical moments, and a singer that for a change not only doesn't annoy me, but adds to the show (first time since that brilliant singer in Boston's Wicked Games show).

4.  Blue Devils - astounding excellence.  Amazing Ballad.  Musical.  Great to see them returning to so many more ensemble guard moments, as well as more melody.  They've zagged a bit when everyone has zigged to their past.

5.  Bluecoats - I wish they didn't have the entire brass line coming through the speakers (I thought that go outlawed?) - it really diminishes the quality of their sound & not needed.  I love the show, though.

HMs: SCV, Cadets

Most Disappointing:

• Cavaliers Visual program and minimal, compact drill.  Not what I want from Cavies.  Why move away from your hallmark?
  • Crown's Cheese.  I better have my lactaid with me each night.  It's a shame, as there are some BRILLIANT moments, like the ballad.  The fabric over-kill and crowd pandering feels like a BOA marching band approach, not a top tier Drum Corps

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan
  • Like 8

Music city

Bluecoats 

Phantom 

Troopers

Madison Scouts 

Phantom - they are back with the sound that makes me stand up and cheer!
Crown - Incredible cleanliness and tonguing.  Nobody else can play and march like they do.

Bluecoats - They may be the most entertaining of anyone.  Give them a theme and find a way of making the music work for it.

Blue Devils - There is NO ONE that is consistently as good as they are and they brought their incredible jazz chops out this year.  Moon River never sounded this good!

Blue Stars - Aggressive and beautiful music that matches a show that is easy to understand.  Wow what a concept!

Colts - year in and year out this group does more with less, every year and are being rewarded for what they do this year with a wonderful show.

Boston - Moving show, that breaks some barriers.  Who would have thought “Can’t take my eyes off of you”, could be done in a tango!  It is the single best arrangement in anyones show (with “What a wonderful world” that was incredibly wonderful).