Thursday, August 11th “DCI World Championship PRELIMS” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, INDIANA

Straight lift of '07 Phantom I see.. love it!

• Like 1

Just now, OldSnareDrummer said:

Still one of my fave drum corps songs ever. Beautifully done. 

I know, right.   I mean Firebird is up there with The Planets and Sound of Silence on the "this again?" list but for some reason it ALWAYS gets me.  

Calgary Stampede has done it beautifully.

• Like 3

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

So perhaps I will try to convince local HS band director to take them to DCI next summer as it is apparently now allowed.  They are on about same level as Calgary.

"international class."  I've yet to see a US based group do the band thing. Heh.  

• Like 1

Just a question..  I love the Calgary Stampede Show Band, think they are amazing and understand they are in the international category.  Why though do they compete with the other corps when woodwinds are still banned in those corps? 

9 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Ok for those who haven't been watching earlier this week.

Calgary Stampede Show Band is the International Class competitor.  So, yes, woodwinds. 

BUT. They're big bold and brassy.   A poster tuesday in the OC thread mentioend they're part of Canadian groups exploring the possiblity of competing in DCI.  

Could someone explain to me how they can compete with woodwinds? I don't mind it, and they are enjoyable, but it is not the same medium as brass/perc/cg.  I remember several international competitors in the past and Canadian corps over the years, but not any bands with woodwinds.  You're right they are big, bold, and brassy! Thanks for the background info, anyone!

Just now, cadetsmellomom34 said:

Just a question..  I love the Calgary Stampede Show Band, think they are amazing and understand they are in the international category.  Why though do they compete with the other corps when woodwinds are still banned in those corps? 

:shrug:  There's been others in the recent past. There was a year a group from Taiwan and another group from somehwere else I think came over in "international class" and had woodwinds.  

Ask DCI.

1 minute ago, cadetsmellomom34 said:

I assume it's that International Class loophole.