Thursday, August 11th “DCI World Championship PRELIMS” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, INDIANA

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I am talking about general rude audience behavior, not necessary just hecklers or leaving in the middle of performances. But I also think we both have very different ideas of what an appropriate audience behavior looks like and that’s okay

I wanted to add to this, but my whole post got deleted and I don’t want to type it all out again, but yeah, I’ll give an abridged example of “audience behavior”. At a live show I went to this year, there were some, what I assume were Hs students girl-screaming the WHOLE night quite close to me. While I appreciate their enthusiasm and that they had a great time, I’d also say that they were a bit…less than courteous to my ears😂😂

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Indeed. And thanks to it and my overall experience, I won't be returning any season soon. One less audience member to bother folks.

Sorry to hear that. Personally, I go to a drum corps show to enjoy the drum corps, politely. I am not there to hear the sounds of a screaming fan inserting themselves into the performance nor am I there to interrupt the viewing pleasure of others by being over the top with my reactions, continually leaving and coming back to my seat, constantly being on my phone, talking during performances, etc. I consider that just general courteous behavior but was surprised to see not everyone sees it that way 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I wanted to add to this, but my whole post got deleted and I don’t want to type it all out again, but yeah, I’ll give an abridged example of “audience behavior”. At a live show I went to this year, there were some, what I assume were Hs students girl-screaming the WHOLE night quite close to me. While I appreciate their enthusiasm and that they had a great time, I’d also say that they were a bit…less than courteous to my ears😂😂

That’s why i stayed home last night to watch Flo instead  of going to the theater.  Music teachers are starting to bring kids and they don’t know the “rules”. So much shrieking and talking during the performances. Not again!

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Well of course. When a corps other than BD wins the gold only once every 3 years, people have to find other goals or they’d be miserable 

Some people enjoy the activity whether their favorite corps wins a gold medal. Or any medal. I know for many BD fans that’s pathetic and silly. 

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DWW11 said:

That’s why i stayed home last night to watch Flo instead  of going to the theater.  Music teachers are starting to bring kids and they don’t know the “rules”. So much shrieking and talking during the performances. Not again!

I was talking about DCI Denton unfortunately…🤐at the theater show, there were plenty of HS kids at my theater show, and they were very cool!! The more annoying people were the two adults that were on my row constantly getting in and out and making weird noises and gesticulations. It was a healthy mix of adults that you could tell enjoy the activity, “old heads” that are still having a good time watching some drum corps and all of the hs kids were from the same school and had a guard friend in BD so when they came on, it was probably the most I’ve heard BD be cheered for in my neck of the woods in Texas😂 Phantom overall carried the theater in their “seal of approval” from all age groups, along with Cadets, Boston, and BD

Edit: Oh! And also Troopers haha

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, George Dixon said:

it's an average and after the scoring last night, it's BD's to lose

.1 behind first with a judge that has given them low scores this season compared to the corps around them. The panel gets very favorable for them the next two nights

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Some people enjoy the activity whether their favorite corps wins a gold medal. Or any medal. I know for many BD fans that’s pathetic and silly. 

Well as far as strawman arguments go, that’s certainly one of them. 

Do I think people are fooling themselves when they say they don’t care whether their corps wins or not? Absolutely. It’s a competitive activity. If you aren’t deriving some joy from positive competitive results, then what are you doing? 

Do I think it’s pathetic and silly for fans to enjoy the activity even when their favorite corps doesn’t win the gold? Absolutely not. To say that any BD fans thinks in such a way is a pretty gross mischaracterization. But mischaracterizations seem to be par for the course for those who aren’t a fan of BD’s style 

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Well as far as strawman arguments go, that’s certainly one of them. 

Do I think people are fooling themselves when they say they don’t care whether their corps wins or not? Absolutely. It’s a competitive activity. If you aren’t deriving some joy from positive competitive results, then what are you doing? 

Do I think it’s pathetic and silly for fans to enjoy the activity even when their favorite corps doesn’t win the gold? Absolutely not. To say that any BD fans thinks in such a way is a pretty gross mischaracterization. But mischaracterizations seem to be par for the course for those who aren’t a fan of BD’s style 

There are plenty of BD fans who think this way. Certainly not all. Plenty of BD fans relish “drinking the tears” of their competition. Personally I find it pathetic. But whatever.