2023 Season Predictions

26 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Regardless of who wins, what I would like to see is a season where all the design/content scores are equal, so winner is determined by performance on any given night.  Imagine if order of top 5 in quarterfinals, semifinals & finals were different each night.  

For those of you who found DCI after 1990, this used to happen fairly often.  Competitions used to happen twice in the same day, or were preceded by a parade, so corps could be on it one show and tired/flat the next.  Guardsmen '79 and Muchachos '74 are two of the greatest examples of a corps going in and just scorching the turf/melting the press box and totally blowing away 4 or 5 corps that were in front of them.  The likelihood of someone this year medaling after finishing in 7th in semis is virtually impossible.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

For those of you who found DCI after 1990, this used to happen fairly often.  Competitions used to happen twice in the same day, or were preceded by a parade, so corps could be on it one show and tired/flat the next.  Guardsmen '79 and Muchachos '74 are two of the greatest examples of a corps going in and just scorching the turf/melting the press box and totally blowing away 4 or 5 corps that were in front of them.  The likelihood of someone this year medaling after finishing in 7th in semis is virtually impossible.

I think talent was more evenly distributed. You had your elites. Blue SCV, Phantom, and Madison with 27th and Spirit making occasional forays and later Cadets and Cavies making their way, but who would be in the top 4 from one year to the next was not a definite. At that time the theory was 1-4 after prelims had a shot at the title followed by 5-9 or sometimes 10 potentially trading places and two or three bumping usually 10, 11, and 12 bumping someone out to make finals. I remember in the early PBS broadcasts where some were shown live, it was always exciting to see who made finals and where they landed, especially where there was no Internet or cellphones so you did not know for certain who would place or where they’d land.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

For those of you who found DCI after 1990, this used to happen fairly often.  Competitions used to happen twice in the same day

Dci South, Allentown and the other Regionals as well as Preiview of Champions. Those were a blast..very long  days but we loved it.

• Thanks 1

1. Carolina Crown (10 years since the 1st win, it’s time again)
  2. Blue Devils (I mean it’s the Blue Devils, they wont drop to 3rd)
  3. Bluecoats (Shows are always interesting and innovative)
  4. Boston Crusaders (Will have a good show, but not the same level as the top 3) 
  5. Phantom Regiment (They have ups and downs, I think they may be on the up swing again)
  6. Cavaliers (With lots of staff turnover they will look completely different, in a good way) 
  7. Cadets (Will be good, not great, but not bad either)
  8. Blue Stars (Same as Cadets, will be good, not great, but not bad either)
  9. Mandarins (Will be hard to move up without more talent)
  10. Blue Knights (I think they have made good staffing decisions to get them back into the mix)
  11. Madison Scouts (I’m hoping they figure something out, I miss them in finals)
  12. Crossmen (Will give a decent design, just needs to get back in with some solid runs)

Honorable mention that could make it in. Troopers and Colts

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I think talent was more evenly distributed. You had your elites. Blue SCV, Phantom, and Madison with 27th and Spirit making occasional forays and later Cadets and Cavies making their way, but who would be in the top 4 from one year to the next was not a definite. At that time the theory was 1-4 after prelims had a shot at the title followed by 5-9 or sometimes 10 potentially trading places and two or three bumping usually 10, 11, and 12 bumping someone out to make finals. I remember in the early PBS broadcasts where some were shown live, it was always exciting to see who made finals and where they landed, especially where there was no Internet or cellphones so you did not know for certain who would place or where they’d land.

There was a lot of movement until 1982.  From '82 to '85 it was BD, SCV, Cadets, Scouts and Phantom as the top 5, not surprisingly the start of the Cadets rise to 3 consecutive titles.  Then Phantom dropped a few notches, Madison dropped a few, Suncoast came in, Cavies hit another gear, Star made their appearance... and the 8 through 14 spots were moving back and forth constantly with some old organizations making way for new ones.

I always felt it was a different vibe watching who was going to get into the top 12, maybe for the first time, versus who was going to take the title.  I don't know that I've ever been as excited for a performance as I was Academy when they made Finals.  That show was so special and everyone was pulling for them, it was just a very different feel.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Danby510 said:
  4. Boston Crusaders (Will have a good show, but not the same level as the top 3) 
  5. Phantom Regiment (They have ups and downs, I think they may be on the up swing again)
  6. Cavaliers (With lots of staff turnover they will look completely different, in a good way) 
  10. Blue Knights (I think they have made good staffing decisions to get them back into the mix)
  11. Madison Scouts (I’m hoping they figure something out, I miss them in finals)
  12. Crossmen (Will give a decent design, just needs to get back in with some solid runs)

I think Scouts here is a lot of wishful thinking.  I only see one unit possibly dropping out of last year's top 12, and there's several corps ahead of Madison that should stay ahead of them.  The top 10 from last year should be locks, Troopers should be BETTER than last year, and that only leaves one spot for Colts/Crossmen/BK/Madison. 

38 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I think Scouts here is a lot of wishful thinking.  I only see one unit possibly dropping out of last year's top 12, and there's several corps ahead of Madison that should stay ahead of them.  The top 10 from last year should be locks, Troopers should be BETTER than last year, and that only leaves one spot for Colts/Crossmen/BK/Madison. 

It absolutely is wishful thinking for scouts to be back, but we can all hope and dream.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danby510 said:

Bold and fresh! Awesome!

• Like 1