2023 Season Predictions

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

2019, Cavaliers was my favorite show of the year, even though my beloved Blue Devils were two of the best corps alongside Bloo. 

LOVED Ghostlight! But the Cavies that year won me over. What a show!

Yep! Ghostlight was a fun show to watch too.

I still believe that cavies 2019 was a major stepping stone for the corps future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DudleytheWest said:

Yeah, I think if not for Covid they would have been in a different place last year.

I agree with that. Cavies had a lot of momentum going into 2020. 

I would say Pacific Crest too. We forget that PC made a late charge in 2019 and shot 5-6 spots up the standings with Everglow, nearly snatching 13th from SOA. Whatever momentum they was carrying into 2020 was taken away by Covid. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I don't think we'll see a streak as long as BD's. There's no catching up at this point. Maybe Cadets and Cavaliers can, but it's a long streak.

Agree. Cadets had their shot. At the end of the 2000 season it was Blue Devils with 10 and Cadets with 8.  Cadets won those 8 titles in 18 years (1983 to 2000). The trajectory was there.

By 2005 it was BD 11, Cadets 9.

In 2007 when both BD and Cadets went head to head for the title in Pasadena...had the Cadets won it would have been BD 12 to 10. But that did not happen. BD won #13 in 2007 and from there on they have dominated like we've never seen in this activity. Sadly The Cadets continued to show amazing talent in percussion and brass but lost their mojo in show design, GE, and guard to some extent. There are factors there that do not need to be discussed. They did win again in 2011, and they did have shows in 2009, 2013, 2014, and 2015 that were extremely competitive. All were top 3 except 2015. 

At this point unless there is some financial crisis with the Blue Devil org I do not see them placing below 4th on any given year, and more often they will be top 2. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Agree. Cadets had their shot. At the end of the 2000 season it was Blue Devils with 10 and Cadets with 8.  Cadets won those 8 titles in 18 years (1983 to 2000). The trajectory was there.

In 2007 when both BD and Cadets went head to head for the title in Pasadena...had the Cadets won it would have been BD 12 to 10. But that did not happen. BD won #13 in 2007 and from there on they have dominated like we've never seen in this activity. Sadly The Cadets continued to show amazing talent in percussion and brass but lost their mojo in show design, GE, and guard to some extent. There are factors there that do not need to be discussed. They did win again in 2011, and they did have shows in 2009, 2013, 2014, and 2015 that were extremely competitive. All were top 3 except 2015. 

At this point unless there is some financial crisis with the Blue Devil org I do not see them placing below 4th on any given year, and more often they will be top 2. 

In your opinion, what would you consider the biggest driving force behind BDs success, the staff or the members?

In other words, if we took BDs entire staff and gave them Cascades members, and we gave the Cascades staff BDs members..........who would place higher?

25 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I'm also thinking about Pre-DCI championships. There are the DCI championships, then the CYO, AFL, and VFW stuff.

I'm also looking at the entirety of Junio Drum Corps. BD has DCI locked down, but Cadets and Cavaliers have those other championships to look at as well.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

In your opinion, what would you consider the biggest driving force behind BDs success, the staff or the members?

In other words, if we took BDs entire staff and gave them Cascades members, and we gave the Cascades staff BDs members..........who would place higher?

Tough to answer. BD's success is the perfect convergence of so many things. Fantastic staff, management & financial responsibility, talented students, growing their own base through the B and C corps and through other services they provide in the north Bay area, loyal alumni, a commitment to having full-time teachers on staff, and so much more. If you gave the Cascades members to BD staff they would provide the better show, experience, and resources to push for excellence. This is not a knock at the Cascades or any corps. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I'm also thinking about Pre-DCI championships. There are the DCI championships, then the CYO, AFL, and VFW stuff.

I'm also looking at the entirety of Junio Drum Corps. BD has DCI locked down, but Cadets and Cavaliers have those other championships to look at as well.

Very true. When you look at The Cadets 10 DCI titles and 10 American Legion titles they certainly are one of the oldest and most honored drum corps in the world. We often leave out the pre-DCI years for various reasons, but when you look at a long-term picture of the world of drum and bugle corps the Cadets and Cavaliers have a glorious past in addition to many fantastic DCI years. But there is no denying that during the DCI era the Blue Devils are a tour-de-force in many ways. They are the Gold standard and that is not a bad thing. It gives the other corps something to shoot for, or perhaps to just learn from. 

• Like 3

So, I have another question regarding the Blue Devils, and I am interested in people's thoughts, especially Chief Guns.  I will start out by absolutely acknowledging their consistent dominance and again reiterate my position that they won in 2022 because they were the best.

Having said that, does anyone here think that BD is actually GETTING BETTER each and every year?  They obviously know how to win the big dance, but was BD 22 better than BD 19? 18?  Thoughts?

• Like 4