2023 Season Predictions

On 6/8/2023 at 10:01 AM, Kopeck said:

I believe Phantom Regiment will again top Cavaliers. Greatest hits shows are a great for fans but don't always sell with the judges. And the Regiment is on an definite upswing. Time will tell.

I HOPE Regiment is on an upswing. They had a great season last year with their best product since 2013. We'll have to see if they can keep up the momentum this year. No one would have predicted last year Cavies would drop from 5th in 2019 to 9th in 2022, so I think it's too early to say Regiment is on a "definite" upswing, but I sure hope you're right. They, Bluecoats and Vanguard were the only shows I actually liked in 2022 (well in the top 9).

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 11:53 PM, DudleytheWest said:

I HOPE Regiment is on an upswing. They had a great season last year with their best product since 2013. We'll have to see if they can keep up the momentum this year. No one would have predicted last year Cavies would drop from 5th in 2019 to 9th in 2022, so I think it's too early to say Regiment is on a "definite" upswing, but I sure hope you're right. They, Bluecoats and Vanguard were the only shows I actually liked in 2022 (well in the top 9).

Agreed on no one predicting Cavaliers drop. But then again, no one could predict them missing multiple shows completely and then marching shows short handed when they did come back to the field. I don’t think I’m incorrect in saying COVID hit Cavaliers harder than any other corps on tour last year. But will stand corrected if I am. 

To me, the wildcard factor is a pretty green corps experience wise.No pun intended.  And a new but experienced staff. Which might be a plus with all the new faces. 

Everyone knows I’m a homer, but not a homer without eyes and ears. I think they could finish Top 5 or better. I also think they could stay around 8-9 like last year. 

But were I betting, I’d bet on the former… not the latter. 

37 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Agreed on no one predicting Cavaliers drop. But then again, no one could predict them missing multiple shows completely and then marching shows short handed when they did come back to the field. I don’t think I’m incorrect in saying COVID hit Cavaliers harder than any other corps on tour last year. But will stand corrected if I am. 

To me, the wildcard factor is a pretty green corps experience wise.No pun intended.  And a new but experienced staff. Which might be a plus with all the new faces. 

Everyone knows I’m a homer, but not a homer without eyes and ears. I think they could finish Top 5 or better. I also think they could stay around 8-9 like last year. 

Don’t think Covid hit Cavies any harder than other corps, but the timing of when it hit the Cavies magnified it’s effect on the corps. 
Much like food born issues have hit corps close to finals.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Don’t think Covid hit Cavies any harder than other corps, but the timing of when it hit the Cavies magnified it’s effect on the corps. 
Much like food born issues have hit corps close to finals.

I definitely agree for the most. Covid did a number on them. 

But you know, it's incredible that they were able to overcome it. Those marching members did a fantastic job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I do think Cavies were hit harder by Covid than anyone else, but I do not attribute Regiment beating them at finals or their 9th place finish to Covid. I don't think you are either. Regiment had a fantastic show last year, and IMO it was a better design than Cavies.

I would place my bet on 6th to 8th. It's not like it was back in the day. It's not easy to climb up the latter and corps just aren't going 12th, to 8th to 4th over a few seasons. Look how long Blue Knights and Blue Stars have been in the 7-9 range (save last year for BK). Look how long Vanguard hung in the 5-8 range. Blue Stars finally broke into the top 7 last year after first breaking into the top 8 in 2008. IMO, Blue Stars were still quite far ahead of Regiment in design and execution last year. Not saying something amazing can happen, but I would doubt very much they will find themselves in the top 5.

I hope I'm wrong, because honestly it's just so boring to me competitively now because there's seemingly so little movement, and I still believe judging is more political than anything. 

• Like 1

I agree with popcorn in terms of predicting where cavies might finish. They have a mixture of older faces that KNOW how to win championships mixed with a new staff members where they can learn from the experienced individuals. 

This was an excellent move from the corps director(s). I said it before and I will say it again.... I trust Mr. Mast. He did a fantastic job for my school district and I know he will keep doing his thing with the corps. 

So it's up to the marchers. How will they react? I think they are going to react extremely well.

4 minutes ago, DudleytheWest said:

I do think Cavies were hit harder by Covid than anyone else, but I do not attribute Regiment beating them at finals or their 9th place finish to Covid. I don't think you are either. Regiment had a fantastic show last year, and IMO it was a better design than Cavies.

I would place my bet on 6th to 8th. It's not like it was back in the day. It's not easy to climb up the latter and corps just aren't going 12th, to 8th to 4th over a few seasons. Look how long Blue Knights and Blue Stars have been in the 7-9 range (save last year for BK). Look how long Vanguard hung in the 5-8 range. Blue Stars finally broke into the top 7 last year after first breaking into the top 8 in 2008. IMO, Blue Stars were still quite far ahead of Regiment in design and execution last year. Not saying something amazing can happen, but I would doubt very much they will find themselves in the top 5.

I hope I'm wrong, because honestly it's just so boring to me competitively now because there's seemingly so little movement, and I still believe judging is more political than anything. 

Cavies finished 5th in 2016 after finishing 9th in 2015. You are most certainly NOT wrong though.... it is very hard to jump up like that. Not impossible though. Right now, I don't care about where they might place... I want them to win the crowd. It can happen.

11 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Cavies finished 5th in 2016 after finishing 9th in 2015. You are most certainly NOT wrong though.... it is very hard to jump up like that. Not impossible though. Right now, I don't care about where they might place... I want them to win the crowd. It can happen.

Yep, the did. I was surprised how 2015 went for them. I thought what it had in common with 2022 was a subpar design. They also reached 4th in 2017. It is just so hard if you're not the Blue Devils or Bluecoats to stay up at the top.

30 minutes ago, DudleytheWest said:

World Class, Cavies were arguably hit the hardest. 

But if you count Open Class, no one was hit harder than Gold. 

Gold performed on July 10th in Stanford, got smashed with Covid, didn't perform again until July 30th in Atlanta. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

World Class, Cavies were arguably hit the hardest. 

But if you count Open Class, no one was hit harder than Gold. 

Gold performed on July 10th in Stanford, got smashed with Covid, didn't perform again until July 30th in Atlanta. 

That truly does sound unfortunate, I’m hoping for all corps to be wealthy in health this year, minimal inclement weather days as they’re all ramping up a little quicker this year with the shorter schedule, they all deserve to be seen by the most eyes they Can in what I believe will be a fantastic year for many corps🔥🔥

• Like 2