Boston Crusaders 2023

It makes me so happy to see a former student of mine conducting Conquest!
••|•|•••

• Like 2

I really like this corps and this year.

The design team does seem a little reactionary to what other corps have done ( I imagine Popeye or someone with a Napoleon Complex), and seem to like to send messages to the world. Just something I notice and not a bad thing, or I'm not trying to make it a bad thing. Some people have joked that this is a cultural feature of the greater Boston area. I dunno, I think that's funny.  

Parts of this seem like Other Side of the Tracks ( specifically the Swallowtail Jig), too, which I LOVED that 2019 Cavaliers show, so it's not an issue for me, just an observation.

The other numbers, specifically On the Waterfront, remind me of SCV ( Fog City Sketches), Bluecoats (The Knockout), Cadets (1986).  Boston makes this stuff their own, so it's all good to me.

This is a great show. Most of my musical criticisms about the sterility of the show last year are not present this year.

Good job Boston. Eat 'em Up!

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Just something I notice and not a bad thing, or I'm not trying to make it a bad thing. Some people have joked that this is a cultural feature of the greater Boston area. I dunno, I think that's funny.  

As someone who lived in Boston for 5 years or so while working on their PhD.  It really sort of is. I was endlessly amused at a top to bottom Boston-ness of "inserting oneself into things" to be a part of it...whatever "it" was.  There was always a take that put "being Boston" in at the center somehow.  

It was particularly amusing around the sports teams support.  I mean...yeah the Red Sox finally broke their curse during my time there and the Patriots were doing their thing too...but I'm a soccer fan and a 96'er for DC United and would pick up soccer talk and get Boston locals suddenly inserting opinions about the importance of the NE Revolution when they could barely say one thing about soccer other than, "you can't touch the ball with your hands unless you're the goalie."    

Boston doesn't call itself "The Hub of the Universe" for nothing.   

All of which sort of shows in the BAC org at times, but in a way I recognize as more endearing than overbearing.  Your mileage may vary.  I read it as a 'swagger' BAC brings that often is a lot of fun when they use it right.

Also it's not a thing that is limited to 'those who grew up in Boston.'  I found it all over the place for people who only been there a short time.  Maybe it's something in the water...hah.

A friend of mine who was from Ohio who lived there 10+ years and had two kids grow up there put it this way once, "There is no chill about being Boston in Boston."

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

As someone who lived in Boston for 5 years or so while working on their PhD.  It really sort of is. I was endlessly amused at a top to bottom Boston-ness of "inserting oneself into things" to be a part of it...whatever "it" was.  There was always a take that put "being Boston" in at the center somehow.  

It was particularly amusing around the sports teams support.  I mean...yeah the Red Sox finally broke their curse during my time there and the Patriots were doing their thing too...but I'm a soccer fan and a 96'er for DC United and would pick up soccer talk and get Boston locals suddenly inserting opinions about the importance of the NE Revolution when they could barely say one thing about soccer other than, "you can't touch the ball with your hands unless you're the goalie."    

Boston doesn't call itself "The Hub of the Universe" for nothing.   

All of which sort of shows in the BAC org at times, but in a way I recognize as more endearing than overbearing.  Your mileage may vary.  I read it as a 'swagger' BAC brings that often is a lot of fun when they use it right.

Also it's not a thing that is limited to 'those who grew up in Boston.'  I found it all over the place for people who only been there a short time.  Maybe it's something in the water...hah.

A friend of mine who was from Ohio who lived there 10+ years and had two kids grow up there put it this way once, "There is no chill about being Boston in Boston."

Thanks for this. I didn't want to sound too crass or rude. My ex is from New England, so I noticed this behavior.

Now, BAC doesn't need to have this anymore, they're one of the big boys! I'm really excited for them!

Always love dcibrass's recordings...

• Thanks 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It put a big smile on my face hearing the wellermans theme in a drum corps setting. This corps is very talented. excited to see how it translates to the field. 

7 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Thanks for this. I didn't want to sound too crass or rude. My ex is from New England, so I noticed this behavior.

Now, BAC doesn't need to have this anymore, they're one of the big boys! I'm really excited for them!

You are spot on, and the "Bostonness" of BAC explains how this corps has survived 83 years, 7 decades during which they had not a penny to their name. And, unlike a few other high profile DCI organizations we read about here on DCP, our alumni and members are well aware of our history and truly honor each other in the present.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

It put a big smile on my face hearing the wellermans theme in a drum corps setting. This corps is very talented. excited to see how it translates to the field. 

The tuba soloist who begins the Wellerman is currently considered the finest collegiate tuba soloist in Texas, according to the Texas Band Masters 2023. And, his little brother is the French horn soloist.   😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1