Carolina Crown 2023

I just rewatched the show from last night... I have a feeling this will be a special season for Crown! I have not felt this from their show in years! I saw/heard top performance by all sections of the corps... Keep going Crown! BE EPIC! ⚔️👑⚔️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wormster79 said:

Is it just me or is the Drumline being featured more compared to previous outings?   Definitely a Mike Jackson line.  They sound great!

Featured more efficiently and effectively.  That's the brilliance of MJ's writing.  It's not just ramming notes for the sake of having a drum feature to show their skills to the judges, it's about writing a percussion book that connects the show together while bringing unique moments into the show that are solely the percussion's focus.

Give attention to what they're doing sound wise while the brass is playing too, you'll find all sorts of tasty things brewing. I know Crown's brass line has trained a lot of people to ignore anything but the brass when the brass is playing, but .... they've got Mike Jackson now, listen to the whole sonic picture.   Someone mentioned last night "this percussion makes the whole corps sound different" and that's what I'm getting at.  

We're already seeing some payoff of this staff move, the next few years are gonna be an opportunity for this Crown team to innovate sonically in some amazing ways

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DCIFan2022 said:

I just rewatched the show from last night... I have a feeling this will be a special season for Crown! I have not felt this from their show in years! I saw/heard top performance by all sections of the corps... Keep going Crown! BE EPIC! ⚔️👑⚔️

Q: can you rewatch on Flo or is it on YouTube? The replay os scheduled for tonight.  (Of course, during the west coast show.) Thx!

7 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Q: can you rewatch on Flo or is it on YouTube? The replay os scheduled for tonight.  (Of course, during the west coast show.) Thx!

Flo makes the shows available the next day! There are also some secret recipe videos for Epic cookies roaming around YouTube! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, karuna said:

In unrelated news:

I'M GOING TO NIGHTBEAT, BOYS!

Never been since it moved.  (And well DCI East is practically a home show for me...) 

13 hours ago, BWise said:

Yay.. me too 

Well, CrownLAND-THREAD will be well represented, with at least three in the seats!

Start your [anti] rain dances, sacrifices to your preferred deity or WHATEVER it takes to keep inclement weather at bay🤞☀️

• Like 2

Maybe this got covered somewhere but did Crown lose a bass drum? Some early videos I saw sounded like the bass splits to exercises were written for 6 with a part missing on top but everything I see from them has only been 5 bass drums.

Okay. Perhaps not the best ears on this thread, but I just caught the Klesch Lick during Flo rebroadcast, just now.

I’ll take an Easter egg anytime of the year🐰

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Maybe this got covered somewhere but did Crown lose a bass drum? Some early videos I saw sounded like the bass splits to exercises were written for 6 with a part missing on top but everything I see from them has only been 5 bass drums.

I saw on some Instagram posts that one of the bass players got seriously injured and had to drop out! Not sure if he will be replaced. I’m glad he is taking care of his health. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

They have a 6th again but today was only his third day there. Will take a minute to get him fully in. I taught at the MFA percussion camp so I got this directly from him when Crown played with the camp drummers yesterday afternoon. 

Edited by trwiggin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2