Carolina Crown 2023

It’s a show day! Go Crown! 

• Like 4

Couple of things: The singing ... is it from a specific text?  It fits really well into the fabric of the show.

And I kinda feel like something is coming in between parts 4 and 5 for some continuity. It almost feels like both parts could be a big coda for the entire production.

1 hour ago, Sensioto said:

FWIW, I introduced my boyfriend to Drum Corps as this season began, albeit over livestreaming (Flo), and it was intriguing to hear his remarks over the first few shows - he is not particularly musically inclined, nor does he care about competitive details or how scores are determined. He was watching purely for entertainment value, and after Crown performed, he said, "Now that show made sense, and they sounded great - best of the night."

I think we often get caught up in details and it was refreshing to hear the wider perspective. This is a great product on the field for Crown - it's everything you expect from Crown and more and some new angles. I cannot wait to take him to NightBEAT with me and let him experience the face-melting first hand! 

It’s a show that is great listening to on stream, and will translate seamlessly with the live, in-person experience I’m imagining. Gonna be going to a show in a few weeks!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sensioto said:

Still trying to reconcile the words spoken too. I know in the opener it is lyrics from Björk's "Bachelorette": 

"I'm a tree that grows hearts
One for each that you take
You're the intruder hand
I'm the branch that you break"

And then in the ballad, it is lyrics from Björk's "All is Full of Love":

"You'll be given love
You'll be taken care of
You'll be given love
You have to trust it"

I agree it sounds haunting and dramatic. Nice overlay. Wish it was a teensy bit clearer what is being said though, for poigniancy and the effect to stick. 

And I also agree on the transition between parts four and five. I know transitions often change the most throughout the season, but the building in part four is great, you have the huge brass and guard moment, and then a gentle descent into "Dido's Lament," and "Lacrimosa," but I feel like so much potential lies within!

Not a fan of the voice-over before the ballad. Sounds off key to me. Too bad because the ballad is so beautiful. Also, the clarity of the voice-overs could be better. Still trying to understand what it all means. 

It's early, and it's dirty. I know it will clean up quickly. I should probably wait to say anything until it gets to that point, but I won't.

Not that anyone gives a frog's fat ### about anything I have to say, but this show doesn't give me the feeling that it can be truly special, like other recent Crown shows have.

There is a lot going on, and in the end I don't know that it can all be reconciled in a way that makes a lot of sense. This is one of the problems I have with "modern" drum corps. There's just too much happening at any given moment. It's electronically enhanced sensory overload, with no cohesive visual element to help tie things together. The purest moments of the production seemingly struggle to break free from the rest of the trappings and acrobatics, to the detriment of the audience. 

I get that I'm seemingly in the minority when it comes to opinions on modern show design. As a Crown charter member and former instructor, however, I can't help feeling more and more removed from what this thing has become. I know that every generation has felt the same, or similar, sentiments but it's just odd, experiencing that feeling for myself. 

I hope that I'm wrong and that it all comes together.

• Like 1

Not really sure what to expect from tonight, but if anything, I hope the scores are close and that Crown's subcaptions continue to be high. I would not be surprised with any placement from 1-3. It is just so hard to tell at this point. Have a great show tonight Crown!

• Like 5

Since I always let scores, placements and spreads stress me out, I’m going to try my very best to ignore all that tonight and just enjoy the show. I’m going to do my very best not to panic if Crown comes in 3rd tonight. Wishing the home team all the luck. First big show of the season! Get it Crown! 💜👑

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Not really sure what to expect from tonight, but if anything, I hope the scores are close and that Crown's subcaptions continue to be high. I would not be surprised with any placement from 1-3. It is just so hard to tell at this point. Have a great show tonight Crown!

I don’t anticipate anyone to dominate, 1’s across the board, that’s the only thing I can be certain of, I’m curious to see what the gaps are for each group though in between captions/subcaptions etc.

• Like 1