Carolina Crown 2023

7 hours ago, wilme861 said:

First world problems. When your group is elite, anything less than winning is a failure. It’s along the same lines as when people call professional athletes bad. NBA for example has 450 players. I don’t care how bad people think the 450th player is, he is still better than 99.9%+ of basketball players.

Crown seems to be in a literal no win situation. Their style and go to ideas are their unique identity. But that identity seems to hold them up from landing at the top. 

I do love this book btw. It’s amazing. Easily my favorite since Inferno.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BWise said:

Umm and have a score downgrade from the night before. And with those kinds of swings .. how do you even make corrections or what do you do with the adjudication comments? 

The single, best comment/query I’ve encountered this year. 

2 hours ago, TOC said:

Didn't they win in 2013 with a 6th place percussion that was only 1.1 behind 1st place Cadets?  They're not dead yet and most of us would say 2016 Relentless was a great show.

Didn’t Relentless not only nab the bronze, but a couple caption titles as well?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Crown seems to be in a literal no win situation. Their style and go to ideas are their unique identity. But that identity seems to hold them up from landing at the top. 

Yep completely in ###### if you do and ###### if you don't territory. Try something different, they get ripped for not being "Crown". Do something "Crown" and they're being too formulaic and repetitive. Sounds like when people talk about BD...(and Bluecoats and Boston for that matter)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

I would love to see a tie for third this year.  

I would love that, too.

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Yeah with judging being largely subjective I just don't get it. It's too bad that you have to subscribe to a formula to have a chance to win today.

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

"and now for the scores.....

In a tie for the bronze metal.... "

I would simply pass away from excessive laughter if I ever heard that at a finals night 😂 

• Haha 2

Also I’m so happy I got my front and center 50 yard line experience at this show for the first time  I technically got that at Boston’s rehearsals the last two days but that’s different from a live performance. I was in the third row. If someone would tell me how to upload pictures from mobile, that would be greatly appreciated. I will post my thoughts on crown tomorrow. 

Also, it’s awesome to find myself in the myriad of videos posted from last night 😂 

There's an amateur video of their SA run from a really perspective. I don't know what it sounded like on Flo, but this amateur video made it sound like the percussion wasn't together quite a few times. It also caught it when a trumpet player held onto a note after the rest of the corps was cut off. In the video, the people looked at each other as soon as this happened. But man...the drill....I just don't think it does much that could reflect what was being played. But that's just my opinion. Some might say it does, but guess I'm missing something. The sound and choreography, along with the guards actions are easy to get for me, but the drill doesn't. 

That said, I have no problem imagining them pulling ahead at Atlanta, especially since it's likely they'll premiere the Crown set. That should excite everyone more than any other performance they're put on yet. Should be an added ge boost and with the percussion being cleaner they could pass Bloo. 

8 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Yeah with judging being largely subjective I just don't get it. It's too bad that you have to subscribe to a formula to have a chance to win today.

the only formula you have to subscribe to to win is the "making a hard show look easy" formula. i dont think it is much deeper than that. if you have a difficult show that you master both musically and visually, you will have a shot at winning it all. no tricks.