Staff Merry-go-round

2 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

I hope Signs of the Times wasn’t the show they had planned in 2020 to help them compete for a medal. They would’ve been highly disappointed.

Nope, however 2 musical selections of their show in 2020 were played by the gold medalist and one of the silver medalists.

That is all I will share.

Edited by jamesb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jamesb said:

I will add the show/musical selections they were cooking up in 2020 was one that would have definitely garnered them a spot in the top 3 but of course, take that with a grain of salt.

The stuff I heard from the camps in 2020 was incredible...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arabica said:

Care to share more?

Not my place to do that. I only heard it because someone leaked it after the season was cancelled, and I haven't seen the video again.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

There was also some involvement there with 2012, 2013, and 2015 depending on which person we're talking about. It's just all over the place over the past 10 years.

I have no idea when is a good time to switch things up, and let's be honest here...

None of us know who decided to leave on their own and who was canned. We also don't know what happened.

I'll be the first to admit to armchair quarterbacking, but the last 10 years have been all over the place for the Cavaliers.

I hear you. But I'll just reference the core design group of Wiles, Martin, McIntosh, Allen, and Hinshaw, who have been central to the designs of 2016 to now. I know that some pieces were around for various years prior, but let's just reference them as a whole. Prior to their arrival, the corps finished 8, 7, 6, and 9. Since their arrival, the corps has finished 5, 4, 6, 5, and 9. I don't know individual caption performances to know if there was a clear weakness year-in and year-out in those recent years, but the corps was rockin an identity that we hadn't seen from them since 2011. In my mind, 5, 4, 6, and 5 make 9 more forgivable. Maybe make a change at a caption that's been underperforming for a while or something. But I don't see the need to make wholesale changes to the entire visual design group and artistic director, several of whom are alums. 

Naturally, whatever decisions were made prior to their 9th place finish, but even as a Phantom Regiment fan, that they're 9th and not 8th is academic - 0.075 is noise. I know that the Cavaliers don't want to be in 8th either, but things happen sometimes.

And if the stories of the 2020 rep and design are true, that tells me these guys know what they're doing. But also, it begs the question "why did they not keep with that rep in 2022?" 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I hear you. But I'll just reference the core design group of Wiles, Martin, McIntosh, Allen, and Hinshaw, who have been central to the designs of 2016 to now. I know that some pieces were around for various years prior, but let's just reference them as a whole. Prior to their arrival, the corps finished 8, 7, 6, and 9. Since their arrival, the corps has finished 5, 4, 6, 5, and 9. I don't know individual caption performances to know if there was a clear weakness year-in and year-out in those recent years, but the corps was rockin an identity that we hadn't seen from them since 2011. In my mind, 5, 4, 6, and 5 make 9 more forgivable. Maybe make a change at a caption that's been underperforming for a while or something. But I don't see the need to make wholesale changes to the entire visual design group and artistic director, several of whom are alums. 

Naturally, whatever decisions were made prior to their 9th place finish, but even as a Phantom Regiment fan, that they're 9th and not 8th is academic - 0.075 is noise. I know that the Cavaliers don't want to be in 8th either, but things happen sometimes.

And if the stories of the 2020 rep and design are true, that tells me these guys know what they're doing. But also, it begs the question "why did they not keep with that rep in 2022?" 

Fair enough,

It's a mystery best left for those there to ponder and address. I wish them the best!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

"why did they not keep with that rep in 2022?" 

The suspicion from various sources close to the corps was that the show was expected to be a momentum boost for the corps to move them out of the 4-6th place grouping. After a certainly new class of marchers and uncertain competitive and cultural outlook, the show was likely scrapped for future use. 

All the musical choices in 2020 were never played by a corps before until this year. My guess is that the show will never see the light of day since these selections have now been used.

• Like 2

I wonder if Cavies pushed Wiles, Allen and McGrath out. I thought given the circumstances, they did great. Kinda tough deciding these guys' fates on the first competitive season since Covid and actually dealing with losing 20% of your corps for over a week from it. It would be like firing a football coach for a bad season after they lost their starting QB and running back for the entire season. 

• Like 3