Phantom Regiment 2023

Here they are! Again, I'm a huge fan. I think they're extremely modern but still tastefully traditional. The chevron headpiece design, for example, is a nice touch!

• Like 4

That headpiece might take me some adjusting, but to have anything up there at all is a little refreshing.

Otherwise, bravo. Very, very classy. 

• Like 2

2023 Phantom Regiment - Exogenesis - Show Repertoire:

• Isolated System by Muse
  • Supremacy by Muse
  • As If A Voice Were In Them by Oliver Waespi
  • to wALk Or ruN in wEst harlem by Andy Ahiko
  • Piano Concerto No. 2 by Sergei Rachmaninoff
  • For I Have Fought the Good Fight by Stephen Melillo
Edited by college-phan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I’m also excited about the 2026 Alumni Corps announcement. Just enough time for me to figure out how to play again. (The last notes I played were the parking lot run through in Foxboro stadium after 94 Finsls.) 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, college-phan said:

2023 Phantom Regiment - Exogenesis - Show Repertoire:

• The 2nd Law by Muse
  • Supremacy by Muse
  • As If A Voice Were In Them by Oliver Waespi
  • to wALk Or ruN in wEst harlem by Andy Ahiko
  • Piano Concerto No. 2 by Sergei Rachmaninoff
  • For I Have Fought the Good Fight by Stephen Melillo

And if there was any doubt out there, I can assure you all that the arrangements are *phenomenal*, my personal favorite being As If A Voice Were In Them!

• Like 2

Seems like a good rep to represent the theme. High risk, high reward.

The main issue I had with the 2022 rep was that the Mahler closer seemed really out of place compared to the rest of the show. I hope the Rach 2 doesn't hold that distinction this year...

The video posted on DCI’s website the other day about what this was going to be had me cautious at first. But now that I see how these pieces fit together, I get what Tony Hall was saying. 

Muse music being played by Phantom Regiment isn’t something I’d expect to see on the field. Perhaps with Bluecoats or Blue Knights it would easily fit. So Tony Hall was right-  this does make me say “wow they are actually doing this! “ As it relates to the theme, I think 2nd Law/ Isolated System is a great piece as a preshow to introduce the  Exogenesis concept. I can literally see how this piece sounds when I listen to it.  Now, how that leads into Supremacy….yeah, that’s the “wow they are really doing this” for me. Supremacy is like a mix of a James Bond theme song and rock opera- almost Queen like in sound. But thats the beauty of it.  JD Shaw took pieces we would never expect to hear on the field in his work with SCV. He made them sound so unique and masterful. I am really looking forward to what he does here with these pieces.  

So, getting into the back half of the show, the more “ traditional” pieces we might expect to hear -  I am curious if the Rachmaninoff is the 2nd movement of that 3 movement piece. If that is the actual ballad of the show. That movement is one of my favorites, and I had hoped for Phantom to have it in a show for quite some time. 

I had not heard the Melilo piece until tonight, as I found it on YouTube. I can see how this will end the show. Much like the  Melilo piece last year, there is some fantastic brass passages, peaks and climaxes, that will be phenomenal to hear. 

Very much looking forward to what Tony Hall described, this year. This different, yet classic all the same edition of Regiment. 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 2