Phantom Regiment 2023

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

Only one of us is speaking in absolutes, and it's not me.

It sounds like you're suggesting that "data that's available" means that you can draw conclusions about a particular demographic based on a generic fan voting outcome. And I would suggest in response that's a failure in data analysis.

Not even close to absolute.  "Data that's available" is simply that.  Drawing the opposite conclusions based on "imagination" or "assumptions" seems biased and based on nothing substantial.  That is a failure on simple logic 101.  But hey, we are all allowed to have opinions no matter what they are based on.  Based on what I know to be a fact there are ex-SCV members marching with Phantom and some staff as well.  I have no idea on names or numbers but there we are.   

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2023 at 7:25 AM, kdaddy said:

... Could I envision a 20-year-old thinking Regiment's props (and how they were used) were lame compared to, say, Mandarins? Absolutely. 

I would be disappointed to know that a student, especially a musician, chose their corps based on the props used in prior years. Although, as a former brass player, all things being equal, I might gravitate towards a corps that focuses less on props and more on the music. 

Do the students really enjoy spending time and energy on the props?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Speaking of MUSIC, looking very forward to what Regiment has in store. The last 2 years have been great. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, billj said:

I wouldn't if I were the one pushing those things around. 

"Gee Dad, what do YOU do in drum corps? Well, son.... "

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

Katie Hopkins will add a lot of experience to the guard. 

I’m not familiar with several 2023 guard staff members’ resumes other  than Adam and Michael’s. Can you expand on this? 

Edited by Sutasaurus

Props did have a role in the CG staff changes. Coming off the Phantomettes they recruited very skilled technical guard members. But they were not as thick and built like SCV or Mandarins guard members.  They had issues moving the props last year.  I think you are going to see a more muscular guard this year that can move those props no problem, and guys who can pick up the girls if necessary for the show.  I think most of the top corps have moved in this direction.

On 4/19/2023 at 2:11 AM, kdaddy said:

I can see your argument for SCV percussionists going to Regiment, especially if the new Regiment guys got an endorsement by the Rennicks when SCV's 2023 season ended. Naturally a good percussionist would want to work with the Rennicks for quality writing and instruction, but I suspect they also want a drum trophy. If that's the case, the next natural place to go is BD (where they would also get quality writing and instruction, as well as the chance for a corps title on top).

Likewise with brass... if you can land at BD or Crown, that's a great choice. Same with guard.

I'm sure design stylistic choices may factor into a student's decision, but placement clearly matters also. Regiment hasn't been top 6 since today's marchers were in elementary school. They probably know more about corps management seemingly turning a blind eye to guard member mistreatment allegations than they do Spartacus.

I loved Regiment's 2022 show, and I think they're on a competent design path. And the design and instruction decisions should mean 2023 is even better. That said, I could also see an 20-year-old SCV member watching that show and thinking it was lame relative to BD, Crown, and Mandarins (and SCV).

I honestly don’t think the 20 year old SCV member would’ve thought Crown’s show last year was all that cool to be honest😂 speaking as a 22 year old myself, not a brass player or anything of the sort involved with the activity, but that would just be my guess haha, BD would have the cool factor x10 in an SCV member’s mind I’m sure, and with Phantom’s brass arranger of course having been at SCV for a number of years, it’s only going to be more and more familiar and integrated into Phantom’s sound, they were already an “SCV lite” last year, and if they like that style, I don’t see why a SCV brass member wouldn’t want to march at phantom, it would be a good destination!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billj said:

I would be disappointed to know that a student, especially a musician, chose their corps based on the props used in prior years. Although, as a former brass player, all things being equal, I might gravitate towards a corps that focuses less on props and more on the music. 

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Speaking of MUSIC, looking very forward to what Regiment has in store. The last 2 years have been great. 

Just to be clear, I'm making a statement like "I could see X happening." And several responses take the style of "I don't like X, therefore it wouldn't happen." 

Trends would suggest that we should take as an axiom that props and theatrical performances are what rules DCI in current times. Therefore, it would seem to me that the effective design and use of props would be appealing. Going to a corps that doesn't effectively design and use props likely means going to a corps that isn't as competitive, and that's totally fine. 

I would also hope that a student doesn't make a decision based exclusively on one factor alone. I'm not arguing that they would. But prop design and use could be one criterion of several (and likely correlates to other aspects of design and competitiveness).

5 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I’m not familiar with several 2023 guard staff members’ resumes other  than Adam and Michael’s. Can you expand on this? 

Her dad was corps director of a corps in Garfield and various other spots in the greater NYC area for a few years. You've probably heard of him.

She's been with Vanguard for several years, and they've had some good, prop-oriented guards.

• Thanks 1