Phantom Regiment 2023

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

If you see the vast majority of people as “the lowest common denominator,” then yikes. 

That's your misrepresentation of what I said, which is what I've come to expect out of you.

You accuse DCI hardcore fans of having weird perspectives "on these things".

I see the one-time show-goers as people who are uninformed about the activity, and have no skin in the game other than little Johnny or Jain marching this year. They are uninformed and willing to accept whatever quality comes their way without comment. They help fill the seats, but they don't care. 

So why is it that the people who enjoy, follow, and support the activity over decades of their lives have weird perspectives?

Frankly, I find that point of view snooty, superior, and yikes...

It's not weird to care about something and comment on the changes whatever way they feel about it.

Apathy is weird. Attacking longtime fans because they have passion about something is weird.

"Pearls before swine" comes to mind, so I'm going to check out.

Edited by jjeffeory

26 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

That's your misrepresentation of what I said, which is what I've come to expect out of you.

You accuse DCI hardcore fans of having weird perspectives "on these things".

I see the one-time show-goers as people who are uninformed about the activity, and have no skin in the game other than little Johnny or Jain marching this year. They are uninformed and willing to accept whatever quality comes their way without comment. They help fill the seats, but they don't care. 

So why is it that the people who enjoy, follow, and support the activity over decades of their lives have weird perspectives?

Frankly, I find that point of view snooty, superior, and yikes...

It's not weird to care about something and comment on the changes whatever way they feel about it.

Apathy is weird. Attacking longtime fans because they have passion about something is weird.

"Pearls before swine" comes to mind, so I'm going to check out.

Sorry. The rules of English must have changed during the course of your comment. My bad. 

Catering to the lowest common denominator (people who come for only one show in this example) is one of the most destructive things happening to society”

These “lowest common denominators” are a big part of what keeps this activity afloat and if we don’t continue getting more of them interested in the activity, it will die off. Calling them that will certainly accelerate it. Talk about snooty and superior. 

If you have an issue with my use of the word “weird,” then change it to warped. Hopefully that will appease a bit more. 

Edited by Cappybara

Just now, Cappybara said:

Sorry. The rules of English must have changed during the course of your comment. My bad. 

Catering to the lowest common denominator (people who come for only one show in this example) is one of the most destructive things happening to society”

These “lowest common denominators” are a big part of what keeps this activity afloat and if we don’t continue getting more of them interested in the activity, it will die off. Calling them that will certainly accelerate it. Talk about snooty and superior. 

Well, there's no need to cater to them because they're casual fans. They're one-off attendees. A new batch of casual fans will come in next year because a new bunch of kids will be rolling through the activity. That's what being casual is...

This is a common tactic used in business today, especially in healthcare, food, and entertainment, especially in areas where the population is sufficiently large enough to cycle through new people.

It's this way in the high school marching band activity and has been this way for years, so why not in DCI too?

You know what REALLY keeps the activity afloat?  People behind the scenes, that don't attend shows, but got involved in the activity because they marched, or their kids marched. You know, those DCI fanatics with "weird ideas"!

You know how I know this?

I just spent this month talking to these people at several shows, and it has been inspiring to see how much work these people with "weird ideas" do to actually keep the activity open and available for young people to participate in them.

No, the rules of English didn't change, but your interpretation of it obviously doesn't match mine, which is just par for the course.

Pearls before Swine.

2 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Well, there's no need to cater to them because they're casual fans. They're one-off attendees. A new batch of casual fans will come in next year because a new bunch of kids will be rolling through the activity. That's what being casual is...

This is a common tactic used in business today, especially in healthcare, food, and entertainment, especially in areas where the population is sufficiently large enough to cycle through new people.

It's this way in the high school marching band activity and has been this way for years, so why not in DCI too?

You know what REALLY keeps the activity afloat?  People behind the scenes, that don't attend shows, but got involved in the activity because they marched, or their kids marched. You know, those DCI fanatics with "weird ideas"!

You know how I know this?

I just spent this month talking to these people at several shows, and it has been inspiring to see how much work these people with "weird ideas" do to actually keep the activity open and available for young people to participate in them.

No, the rules of English didn't change, but your interpretation of it obviously doesn't match mine, which is just par for the course.

Pearls before Swine.

Thought you were checking out? I personally would too if each of my comments was consisting from a personal attack on the person I was replying to. 

What numbers or events in the past decade or so of drum corps makes you think that the activity is “sufficiently large enough to cycle through new people?” Did the season long shut down of SCV suggest that? Perhaps the historically short DCI tour this summer? 

The point that you are missing is that these “lowest common denominators” are people who we should be focused on further engaging so that they can become more hardcore fans of DCI and help keep the activity alive. The only one suggesting a hierarchy of fan or person is you. If they are contributing to the survival of the activity, they are valuable. 

Out of respect for the Phantom Regiment thread (you know, the corps that got me this interested in drum corps back when I was a “lowest common denominator”), I will be ACTUALLY checking out. If you would like to continue, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, I am not going to engage with someone who has to continually resort to personal attacks to make their point. 

And here I thought this season might have a Phantom thread that didn't get all dramatic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Could you please put this thread back on topic?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was soooooo wrong about Phantom Regiment in my pre-season comments. I thought this season would be a “safe” show. Man, it’s good to be wrong! This season has everything I’ve loved about Phantom Regiment for decades but packaged in a new and exciting way. 

• Like 5

Dare I say....they're making me like the use of their tarps?   I mean... I know... but this one is really effective in framing the field, the off set makes the drill and pit placement pop.  They're not marching over it most of the time, and when they do go onto it, they do in ways that make sense.  Not just "There's a tarp down, we're marching over it to get over there though."   

The last time I saw tarps used in ways that really made sense might have been Blue Stars' anniversary show in 2014.  But there, they were long strips to make the house plan on the field, and while sometimes they'd move the drill through the doorways into other rooms, other times they were marching directly over it and there were falls.  

• Like 2

Great season so far! Excited for the Texas Tour this week, and fun to see lots of tight placements as well! Here's another PR story spot I found: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1