Phantom Regiment 2023

2 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Getting those kids off the bus in that sort of shape and having them run a show on the field during an extreme heat warning (it didn't expire until AFTER Phantom's slot) ... yeah no.   You're talking about having kids drop on the field potentially.

All the other corps practiced in the heat and marched the show.  Pretty sure their mm/staff took extra breaks. 

12 minutes ago, TOC said:

All the other corps practiced in the heat and marched the show.  Pretty sure their mm/staff took extra breaks. 

But they didn't ride to the show in an oven on top of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I mean...I got heat exhaustion the summer John Lewis died.  I'd gone walking out to the plaza where tributes were set up then got in line for the laying in state.  And ... had to leave.  The line up was on the street in the sun.   Foolishly I went on past the Red Cross first aid tent after giving up and just headed home on foot as I live a mile from the Capitol.   I was STUMBLING home and my heart racing.  

The aforementioned bus ride wasn't that extreme but our arrival in St. Louis we were all wiped out until we got into cooled air and water in us.  

Getting those kids off the bus in that sort of shape and having them run a show on the field during an extreme heat warning (it didn't expire until AFTER Phantom's slot) ... yeah no.   You're talking about having kids drop on the field potentially.

We live about 30-40 minutes south of their rehearsal site and it’s still 99 degrees at our house at almost 11:00pm. 

What the hell happened while I was asleep last night? I come to look at the forum and it’s turned into Lord of the Flies 😜 

Edited by PRomoter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Guys/gals/peoples none of us were there so for us to question the decision is ludicrous.

As a parent of one of the members on the bus, this was the right decision. There were kids who were struggling, mightily. Was there poor decisions made? Yes!! Was the decision to back out of the show one of those decisions? ABSOLUTELY NOT

I will not get in to the situation and the health impacts I have been told but this was the right decision.

I will also say we need to support the percussion members when we get a chance. Its real easy for them to get down on themselves as what is bringing the corps down this year. Moral is high across the corps however the perc members feel they are letting the corps down.

Edited by SJugster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Why take the chance of people getting hurt over a drum corps show?  Safety first.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Why take the chance of people getting hurt over a drum corps show?  Safety first.

Absolutely right!!!

Let me also add that the staff is 100% committed to keeping the members hydrated while in Texas. Was with them most of the day yesterday and it was very apparent that this is a top concern. Not sure if it was learned due to the what happened in Broken Arrow but I am pretty confident that it wont happen again.