Phantom Regiment 2023

1 minute ago, drumhead31 said:

Actually I think percussion has improved the most of any section since the beginning of the season.  The percussion designer posted the drum judge tape from the Olathe show and it was actually a very detailed and positive review of the writing and performance, with some great comments on where things need some work. 

where would one get this shared tape?

Tyler Sammons, the percussion designer and arranger, posted it on his Facebook page. 

• Like 2

Comments from a very well respected judge as well, Allen Kristensen.

• Like 1

The percussion line is growing fast.   They need to sort some things out with the staging so the judges get a read and I've seen some adjustments doing that.  

But this year in percussion is a super weird thing because we have things like Cavaliers, Cadets, Troopers, Colts going on.  These are lines that can punch well above the ordinals of their overall corps.

So, like we see with the Mandarins, the REALLY GOOD percussion line we have with Phantom may not pull the same ordinals (and thus the numbers) of other sections if they start comparing between sections within the corps. (e.g. "well percussion got 5th tonight when we pulled 1s and 2s in other areas?")  Because they're in a caption that is really topsy turvy and essentially being called by one person each show.

That's a bad approach to reading the recaps in my view. Look at your Comp to Achievement gap and work that out.  The rest will take care of itself.   Also, don't forget percussion is now to be a consideration for the MA numbers and the music focused GE numbers.   Like guard, a percussion lines impact isn't just in the Percussion sub caption numbers.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

The percussion line is growing fast.   They need to sort some things out with the staging so the judges get a read and I've seen some adjustments doing that.  

But this year in percussion is a super weird thing because we have things like Cavaliers, Cadets, Troopers, Colts going on.  These are lines that can punch well above the ordinals of their overall corps.

So, like we see with the Mandarins, the REALLY GOOD percussion line we have with Phantom may not pull the same ordinals (and thus the numbers) of other sections if they start comparing between sections within the corps. (e.g. "well percussion got 5th tonight when we pulled 1s and 2s in other areas?")  Because they're in a caption that is really topsy turvy and essentially being called by one person each show.

That's a bad approach to reading the recaps in my view. Look at your Comp to Achievement gap and work that out.  The rest will take care of itself.   Also, don't forget percussion is now to be a consideration for the MA numbers and the music focused GE numbers.   Like guard, a percussion lines impact isn't just in the Percussion sub caption numbers.  

Excellent insight 

11 hours ago, TOC said:

PR needs the busses to get large class A RV windshield shades for the outside. 

This is the main reason why I got blackout curtains for the front of the bus in 2019, the second was to thwart creepy types from staring in the front windows at the color guard.

32 minutes ago, RebelGTP said:

This is the main reason why I got blackout curtains for the front of the bus in 2019, the second was to thwart creepy types from staring in the front windows at the color guard.

If those creepy people ever had to wash uniforms or smell the inside of the bus they’d lose their interest real quick. Maybe just hang unis from the windshield wipers. LOL. Man, we all smelled so awful, yet, we couldn’t smell ourselves. Some kind of smell defense, I guess. Our loved ones could smell it when we were done for the season. 

• Haha 2

I wish more corps would release more judge tapes (with judge permission of course) especially GE tapes. The community could benefit from hearing more tapes and understanding judge thoughts 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 3:51 PM, PRomoter said:

Loving the 80’s stache in your profile picture. You were rocking it, man! As someone who grew up in the 80’s, I only wished I could have grown one at that age. 

Thanks! The Buick line all made a pact to grow facial hair that summer to look older. We thought we looked too young without any.

Edited by Kopeck
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I wish more corps would release more judge tapes (with judge permission of course) especially GE tapes. The community could benefit from hearing more tapes and understanding judge thoughts 

The first tape I would want to hear is J. Webb who judged GE2 this past Monday Night in Canyon TX. 

• Haha 4