Blue Devils in the Details 2023

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

The core of my entire argument is that BD has not moved me like that since 2004. Yet shows that have literally made me cry like Crown 09 and 17 and Bloo 19 lost to a corps I think only checks the boxes on the sheets.

I want BD to move me like that again. I really do. But I don't think they will as long as Scott Chandler is there

I do get you.. I really do. I hope that day will come when BD will move you again.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I understand.  It's human nature to not like like dynasties and to root for the underdog.  Most don't like to see the same "team" win over, and over, and over, unless you're a fan of said team.  And if you're not, they keep winning because of biased refs, judges, umpires, whatever.  It definitely can't just be because they're better than anyone else.  

Nailed it. 

• Like 4

Edited by jaylogan

47 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

1. The system will never change

2. BD designs to the system, not to the fans. 

Ooh! Today I learned that I’m the system. Didn’t realize my power!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

Ooh! Today I learned that I’m the system. Didn’t realize my power!

Me too Lmao

50 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

That's not true. Crown was better in 09 and 17, Bloo was better in 19, both Boston and Bloo were better last year. I don't dispute 10 and 14

I'm a Crown alum and I would have to say you're crazy if you think Crown had the better performance in 09 to win the title over BD. I will admit that the 09 BD show was probably my least favorite show of theirs since before 2000 sometime but they were easily a step everyone else. I'm also a visual guy and can't remember exactly what the scores were but I can almost guarantee BD got all 20s or #### near close to that in the entire visual caption. 

I might not always enjoy the overall theme of a BD show (actually Bluecoats have been my least favorite over the last 5 years or so honestly) but you can never deny the performance level from the corps. I will say at least visually, the demand, variety and execution from year to year is just ridiculous. Love them or hate them, they are ridiculous.

• Like 6

@greg_orangecounty hit it right on the head. Lakers, Celtics, Yankees, Patriots (with Brady), UCONN Womens Basketball, Duke Basketball, Alabama Football...............dominate and/or have a history of being dominate in their respective sport, and outside of their fanbases, those teams are hated by nearly everyone. 

And the new hated team is Oklahoma University Womens Softball. Those girls are eradicating EVERYONE. And just like with BD, the haters are coming up with excuses as to why they win. The most recent excuse is because the Womens World Series is played every year in OKC, so they have home state advantage. Well I watched those girls play..............and you could move the Womens World Series to some rice field in Banaue Philippines, and the competition would still get mollywhopped by those Oklahoma girls. Location of the games played has nothing to do with it. They are just better. Plain and simple.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter what BD does. There will be a strong contingent of ABBD supporters who will hate on BD as long as the Devils continue to consistently win. 

BD could come out and do a show with 11 straight minutes of playing with no break or pause, death-defying breakneck drill at 230 bpm, then end the show on a company front with the BD horn line pushing volumes that makes everyone fail their audiogram's the next morning...............guess what, BD will still be bashed, still accused of paying off judges, playing to the sheets, blah blah. 

Until BD stops winning consistently, they will be in the category of most hated right along with the teams named above.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

In something so subjective, and with competition so tight at the top, what really is "better?" 

Should a DCI show move you emotionally, or just tick boxes on a sheet?

What you find moving, I may find uninspiring. So, what you believe just ticks the boxes may be a very entertaining show to some and not others. It’s ok to not love a particular brand or style, doesn’t make it better or worse.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree with much of what ContraFart wrote - there is a big difference between a corps having its own unique style (e.g. Bluecoats) and a corps doing a 'rinse and repeat' show every year.

I don't enjoy BD and it has nothing to do with them winning almost all the time but it has everything to do with taking a winning formula and applying it each year.  They have become highly predictable.  I believe the role of a Champion is to keep innovating and I think BD (in recent years) rarely does this.

I saw the run of their preview show and yep - the same thing as last year and the year before ...... with a thinly veiled theme and the same kind of narration, staging, guard book, etc.  

I totally appreciate that it's not 'my cup of tea' anymore yet others will love it, and that is fine with me but sadly I find BD predictable and boring because I have seen it all from them before - for the last 10 years!

Edited by DCI-86
typo
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Yes, since the only people who seem to argue against me when I talk about BD are BD alum. To think they are anything other than completely deserving of all of their titles is an affront to the alum and the kids and means I hate drum corps. (At least in the eyes of who I seem to have friction with) I am simply not allowed to disagree with any of the outcomes where BD wins. 

There is also an element of entitlement since they are a destination corps for winning. Other corps are destination corps as well, but their primary purpose is not to win a title. 

And now, what was a decent conversation has become silly. OF COURSE the other corps primary purpose is to win!  Does the organization spend millions of dollars a year to come in second?  Ask the kids from any top 5 corps, before their first show, before the first judgement of THEIR show, if they think they can win this year, and i doubt any of them would start with “oh, that isn’t important!”  It’s a yes. That’s the main reason they are out there. If they just wanted to march , they wouldn’t fly all over the country auditioning for their age out year. They would just be happy to stay where they are  

EVH and Neil Pert are legends BECAUSE they did their thing. You could pick one of their songs simply by listening for their style. But for BD that is bad?

and of COURSE you are allowed to disagree with an outcome. You are allowed to be giddy with excitement if another corps beats BD. Just be giddy for the win, and not because BD lost. 

• Like 2