Blue Devils in the Details 2023

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

That elevation is no joke! I am a diehard 49ers fan, and last season I went to the Niners/Cardinals game in Mexico City Monday Night Football.

Going from 900 ft elevation in SoCal, to 7200 ft in Mexico City............Brandon Aiyuk scored that first TD for the Niners, I jumped up, cheered and screamed, I swear I felt my lungs evaporate in my chest. All the air my body has ever known was gone lol.

In 2005 I attended US Fencing Association Armorers College for 2 weeks at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.  One of my roommates was an Army Colonel, and when he went on runs during the downtime, he'd come back and ask when they started the oxygen rationing.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Acclimation is key, big city air pollution is also an issue in Mexico City pair that with the thinner air and you can imagine why that was!! Compare that to sparsely populated Wyoming and its vast, clean skies, definitely a fantastic place for conditioning for all those students, quite the challenge getting used to at first I’m sure😮😮

You definitely hear the home field advantages altitude provides in sports, Denver is a notable example, Mexico City for its national futbol team and it being a notoriously difficult place for the away team to play. Another example in South America is La Paz in Bolivia, over 11,000 feet above sea level, truly a nightmare for away teams but a tremendous advantage for the home team if they’ve acclimated to the conditions👀

100% on acclimation. My last deployment to Afghanistan in 2014, was stationed in San Diego, we went TAD to the Santa Fe, New Mexico area (7000 ft) to prep and acclimate for the Afghan altitude. When we got to Kabul (5900 ft), the altitude had little affect on us. Acclimation is everything. 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2023 at 8:56 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wonder why don’t they use Mars?

elon’s rockets keep exploding so they chickened out, sadly. 

• Haha 4

So anyway, who here knows how to throw a harpoon? 

On 5/4/2023 at 7:07 PM, Chief Guns said:

100% on acclimation. My last deployment to Afghanistan in 2014, was stationed in San Diego, we went TAD to the Santa Fe, New Mexico area (7000 ft) to prep and acclimate for the Afghan altitude. When we got to Kabul (5900 ft), the altitude had little affect on us. Acclimation is everything. 

Yep.   Some people don't realize that climbers on 8000 meter peaks don't just go straight up from Base Camp.  They spend several weeks going up and down to lesser altitudes to get used to the rare air up there.

On Everest or Lhotse they make multiple runs up and down from Base Camp to Camp 1 and 2 (on the Nepali side for both mountains....don't remember what they do on the Chinese side or Everest, but the technique's the same) to get acclimated.  I don't think they hit Camp 3 until they're actually making for the summit.

9 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

So anyway, who here knows how to throw a harpoon? 

• Haha 3

On 10/4/2022 at 2:54 PM, flugelswerebugels said:

Of course they'll win in 2023 so half of DCP can say "BD finally 3-peated" and half can say "Its not really a 3-peat".

And its already started over in the Predictions thread. 

• Haha 4

On 8/14/2022 at 5:21 PM, KVG_DC said:

I predict that "is it a threepeat or not?" will be argued ad nauseum all season and forever after.  

Called it last August.

• Like 3

On 5/11/2023 at 12:06 PM, keystone3ply said:

I think it's the same as a bassoon... 😁🤷‍♂️

No no, that would be an Oboe. Bassoons are for whale, wait. By golly I think you're onto something!

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Haha 2