Blue Devils in the Details 2023

BD doing Sweeney Todd would be a game over moment. Pretty Women as the  ballad please 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

BD doing Sweeney Todd would be a game over moment. Pretty Women as the  ballad please 

14 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I hope so! I want a Sweeney Todd show.

15 hours ago, DWW11 said:

Really strange guess: Sweenie Todd. Bodies in pieces, scissors, and red for blood. Go ahead and laugh. I am sure the truth is something i could never guess correctly. 

BD had done bits of pieces from Sweeney Todd in 2015. Back then I was hungry for a full Sweeney Todd show from them. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

BD had done bits of pieces from Sweeney Todd in 2015. Back then I was hungry for a full Sweeney Todd show from them. 

Am i mistaken, or did BD 2008 have some Sweeney Todd as well? 

• Like 1

The one quote I read from BD's post on Instagram came from a Steve Reich piece of music called Proverb. Steve Reich is a minimalist composer so I guess I am thinking more minimalism, which kind of reflects the ideas of the photo posted on this thread. 

The text that inspired the work came from Ludwig WittgensteinThe short text, “How small a thought it takes to fill a whole life!” comes from a collection of Wittgenstein’s writing entitled Culture and Value. This was the quote BD posted on Instagram. Now it could just be his quote they are basing some of the show on and not necessarily Steve Reich's music. Who knows? 

In his last years, in defiance of his deteriorating physical condition, Henri Matisse developed a thrilling new method of making art that allowed him to work with brilliant colours even when he was bed-bound. With scissors as his chief implement, Matisse introduced a radically new operation that came to be called a cut-out. Matisse would cut painted sheets into forms of varying shapes and sizes which he then arranged into lively compositions, striking for their play with color and contrast, their exploitation of decorative strategies, and their economy of means. Matisse called his process “painting with scissors” and he developed the act of “carving into color” with innovative expertise.

In a whirlwind of inspiration and event, the 2023 Blue Devils imagine the world of Matisse’s final chapter with THE CUT-OUTS. A musical and visual collage that celebrates environmental installation with shape, sound and texture.THE CUT-OUTS mines the tensions that lurk in all the shapes, between finish and process, fine art and decoration, drawing and color. An eclectic soundtrack bridges the past to the present and reflects the circumstance to the vision.

The 2023 Blue Devils bring THE CUT-OUTS to Drum Corps International’s summer celebration with 165 extraordinary performers. With performances across the United States, THE CUT-OUTS honors the miracle of Matisse with music, motion, excellence, and innovation.

Music includes:

• THE RISE — Dave Glyde

• CAVES — Cody Fry

• JOJO’S BIZARRE ADVENTURE — Tominaga, Fujibayashi, Tanaka

• STARDUST CRUSADERS “JOTARO’S THEME" — Yugo Kanno

• RESISTENCE — Dave Glyde

• BOTH SIDES NOW — Joni Mitchell

• OF ENERGY— TesseracT

• INCIDENT IN JAZZ — Bob Graettinger

• GRAND CANYON FANFARE — James Newton Howard

Read the full announcement: https://bluedevils.org/programs/a-corps/seasons/

#bdworld #dci2023

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, btown50 said:

In his last years, in defiance of his deteriorating physical condition, Henri Matisse developed a thrilling new method of making art that allowed him to work with brilliant colours even when he was bed-bound. With scissors as his chief implement, Matisse introduced a radically new operation that came to be called a cut-out. Matisse would cut painted sheets into forms of varying shapes and sizes which he then arranged into lively compositions, striking for their play with color and contrast, their exploitation of decorative strategies, and their economy of means. Matisse called his process “painting with scissors” and he developed the act of “carving into color” with innovative expertise.

In a whirlwind of inspiration and event, the 2023 Blue Devils imagine the world of Matisse’s final chapter with THE CUT-OUTS. A musical and visual collage that celebrates environmental installation with shape, sound and texture.THE CUT-OUTS mines the tensions that lurk in all the shapes, between finish and process, fine art and decoration, drawing and color. An eclectic soundtrack bridges the past to the present and reflects the circumstance to the vision.

The 2023 Blue Devils bring THE CUT-OUTS to Drum Corps International’s summer celebration with 165 extraordinary performers. With performances across the United States, THE CUT-OUTS honors the miracle of Matisse with music, motion, excellence, and innovation.

Music includes:

• THE RISE — Dave Glyde

• CAVES — Cody Fry

• JOJO’S BIZARRE ADVENTURE — Tominaga, Fujibayashi, Tanaka

• STARDUST CRUSADERS “JOTARO’S THEME" — Yugo Kanno

• RESISTENCE — Dave Glyde

• BOTH SIDES NOW — Joni Mitchell

• OF ENERGY— TesseracT

• INCIDENT IN JAZZ — Bob Graettinger

• GRAND CANYON FANFARE — James Newton Howard

Read the full announcement: https://bluedevils.org/programs/a-corps/seasons/

#bdworld #dci2023

Am I the only one that feels as if this is almost Bluecoats meets Blue Devils for a show concept?