Blue Devils in the Details 2023

12 hours ago, wilme861 said:

But yes, their book is crazy and the fact they are achieving it at the level they are is even crazier. And it's not like the other groups don't have great books either but still. Can't wait to get in front of that line again in a lot.

I collect a *lot* of DCI drum music/scores for funsies and to have stuff to play around at home on, and I have to say, there's a massive gulf in degree of difficulty between the top lines and everyone else.  It's pretty clear that when corps recognize they have a talented and veteran battery, they tend to twist the difficulty knob up to 11.  

Mike

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I collect a *lot* of DCI drum music/scores for funsies and to have stuff to play around at home on, and I have to say, there's a massive gulf in degree of difficulty between the top lines and everyone else.  It's pretty clear that when corps recognize they have a talented and veteran battery, they tend to twist the difficulty knob up to 11.  

Mike

Speaking of talent and veterans, which may or may not be synonymous, I read somewhere that in 2006 Cavaliers reportedly had something like 96 returning vets during that season. Do we know how many returning vets the entire corps/battery has?

8 hours ago, NakedEye said:

It is remarkable how they’ve been able to take such a well known song and make it...ethereal. I haven’t seen much mention of how they have pairs of horns back-to-back, rotating for part of it. That circular sound they create as they turn likely adds to the effect.

Yeah. I think they must be basing it on her slower 2000s rerecording (the one made famous by that movie “Love Actually” blech) rather than the original 60s version. Even then, they find a way to make it their own while really honoring the song and giving it time and space. One of my favorite songs ever and they really do it justice IMHO. Maybe the screamers harsh my high a little (unless they’re nailing it) but otherwise great. 

• Like 1

Apologies if this is information people already know…

Inspired by the ballad, I did a little reading on Joni Mitchell.  She was also a painter.  She had polio when she was 9 and, according to Wikipedia:

“Polio had weakened her left hand, so she devised alternative tunings to compensate; she later used these tunings to create nonstandard approaches to harmony and structure in her songwriting.”

What a great fit for this show.

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

Speaking of talent and veterans, which may or may not be synonymous, I read somewhere that in 2006 Cavaliers reportedly had something like 96 returning vets during that season. Do we know how many returning vets the entire corps/battery has?

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong as I’m only remembering this from the top of my head from what they told us right before the DCI West BBQ performance, but I heard:

~90 returning members

~185 corps members (including alternates)

~100 members are from California

~85 members from 25 other states

~3 members starting their DCI career as BDC

Edited by Rylan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

If I remember correctly about half are returning members.  If I also remember correctly the corps will have a record number of ageouts this year (several rookies to BD).   Regarding battery, not sure how many ageouts, but mostly vets and i think most rookies have done RCC (I think).  Unsure on ageouts for battery but the youngest member is 19 so good chance there will be a large number of ageouts in the line

Edited by Metalbinky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rylan said:

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong as I’m only remembering this from the top of my head from what they told us right before the DCI West BBQ performance, but I heard:

~90 returning members

Sounds correct though I didn’t have a notebook 🤣 I’ll add that one member went directly from BDC to A corps 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rylan said:

~90 returning members

From what I wrote that evening: Around 80 returning from last year, representing 80% retention rate. 75-80 marching age-out year. 183 members. I didn’t have a notepad, but that was what I remembered hearing.

I recall same on CA/non-CA and BDC. I think 20 marched BDB.

Edited by lawdn
  • Thanks 2