Blue Devils in the Details 2023

19 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

BD has the University of Wyoming on lock now. 

The facilities there are phenomenal too. 

That place will be a BD mainstay for years to come in my opinion. 

Very happy about that... They are using indoor tells me some added changes/addition or tweeks being put in before tomorrow match up with Boston, and also heading into the week where on the 18th big match up is happening before first regionals weekend. They'll be able to clean those going forward IF anything new is done.

Edited by theonlyfizzle
  • Like 3

I have to say, I am coming around on this show musically. (I still cant get the visual as its not my thing) However both the horn and drum books are exposed and take HUGE risks. More than Boston or Bluecoats. The performers are excellent.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I have to say, I am coming around on this show musically. (I still cant get the visual as its not my thing) However both the horn and drum books are exposed and take HUGE risks. More than Boston or Bluecoats. The performers are excellent.

Execution is always going to be what it has been for BD as long as they are able to become the destination corps for age outs. I appreciate that they do what they do, it’s just not interesting to me. Tis whar tis.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Since design is being mentioned I thought I'd add an additional .2 to my previous thoughts about the show design. I see why they chose this show design this year. It has a very high ceiling. The great thing about this show theme is they are not trapped into a certain style and the ideal of the theme leaves room for interpretation and growth. The rep is packed with hair-raising moments, and the visuals extremely variegated landscapes of color that transition, along with the uniforms, into a spectacular cacophony of colours -- the way Matisse's cut-outs stood out to me at the MOCA. The visuals were mesmerizing, and the music was full of surprises! You MUST see this live to appreciate it 🌀 There's a certain power that doesn't translate through the internet. Last, but not least, I leave you with an afterthought. Great shows can entertain, enlighten and even empower, but one of its greatest gifts to us is its ability to unsettle, prodding us to search for our own aesthetic bias in the performance. “A book must be the ax for the frozen sea inside us,” Kafka once wrote. Like literature, artistic shows like The Cut-Outs create waves in that frozen sea. We stifle them at our peril.

Edited by resipsaloquitur
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Goooood, Anakin, goooood. :bluedevil:

• Like 3

Just looking forward to see the devils tonight in a big show.

Was in Sacto and man the devils were amazing.

Can't wait for tonight and definitely can't wait to fly to INDY next month.   Unfortunately will be going alone but I will be able to see the Devils practice on wednesday before prelims.  For those that go to INDY be sure to head out to Ben Davis High School   Once you see BD prep which I have many many times you start to realize why they are so great.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, MikeBD said:

Can't wait for tonight and definitely can't wait to fly to INDY next month.   Unfortunately will be going alone but I will be able to see the Devils practice on wednesday before prelims.  For those that go to INDY be sure to head out to Ben Davis High School   Once you see BD prep which I have many many times you start to realize why they are so great.

Going to BDs practices are amazing. 

I look forward to that just as much as going to the shows each summer.

I can't explain it, but BDs rehearsals are next level.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MikeBD said:

Some years I simply make the decision to not attend a competition that BD is not attending and instead just watch a couple rehearsals. It is truly an incredible experience to watch them rehearse

• Like 4

9 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Goooood, Anakin, goooood. :bluedevil:

not so fast Mr.

• Haha 1

No visible or aural changes to the show from what I can tell from tonight (DATR). But much cleaner!

Did I miss any changes, if any? 

Edited by Rylan
  • Like 1