Madison Scouts 2023

55 minutes ago, Gantang said:

You must be new to drum corps. The Madison Scouts are NOT hated but the demise of a once powerhouse, fan-favorite, perennial threat to a title, and the epitome of masculine (females can be masculine...it's a vibe), has been a tremendous disappointment for "drum corps" fans while they have been embraced by the new "marching band" fans who have no historical perspective of Madison.

The current kids marching drum corps have never seen the Madison Scouts as anything more than a semi-finalist. That's not the kids; it's leadership. In general, the talent level of the current Madison Scouts wouldn't have been given a spot as late as the 1990s. That's not hate...it's fact. 

Maybe you missed it. I said, "I have issues with what's been happening in the front office [of the Scouts] for more than 15 years."

On 6/29/2023 at 2:37 PM, C.Holland said:

current admin dug the corps out of a texas size hole that very few could. So failure, not so much. If you’re only looking at the field placement as success or failure, you should remember there’s so many other things going well that aren’t field related that no one else is crazy enough to take on. But hey, feel free to nominate someone to take over at the end of this term.  Or at least go ask the members their thoughts.  I think you’ll be very surprised at their answers. 

The "current admin dug the corps out of a texas size hole that very few could?" Can you give us more specifics? 

I don't know anyone that looks exclusively at field placement. The issues is it appears, based on the long-term trend, that competitive results isn't a consideration or a very low priority for the current leadership and board. 

"there’s so many other things going well that aren’t field related that no one else is crazy enough to take on?" That's easy to say when the current leadership has a lock on the job. Can you be more specific about the outcomes off the field you're talking about?

The current leadership appears to have a lock on the job and can do no wrong in the eyes of the board. The Scouts do some things well. The issue is, that based on key performance indicators from the Scouts' peers, not including how they do on the field, they're getting beat off the field, too. 

It sounds like you're a strong supporter of the current leadership. That's cool. Some feel that he's in the wrong seat on the bus. So, we can agree to disagree on that. 

Edited by madisonsmiley

On 6/29/2023 at 11:07 PM, C.Holland said:

There are a few on this forum who were board members, didn’t meet their numbers, and then tried to take the whole corps down with their exit. 

But they don’t know, they know diddly about the activity in its current state, diddly about how the non profit arts work, diddly about how to develop funds for it, diddly about show design… you get the point.  

it’s the same tired argument.  I hope they’re at least paying their actual dues, donating to the keg fundraisers for the annual tailgate, and buying corps meals like the rest of us are.  

irony is, go ask a member their thoughts.  I love hearing from members, seeing their Twitter feeds, and I have a few students in there. They are working hard, having a blast, and keeping the corps going. 

"There are a few on this forum who were board members, didn’t meet their numbers, and then tried to take the whole corps down with their exit." Can you give us specifics? 

"But they don’t know, they know diddly about the activity in its current state, diddly about how the non profit arts work, diddly about how to develop funds for it, diddly about show design… you get the point." Can you give us more specifics? Who is "they" and how do you know what "they" know or don't know? 

Thanks! 

23 hours ago, madisonsmiley said:

We've heard a similar story for years. Management's performance results retaining talent appears to be an issue. 😉 

they seem to have a better plan in place the last 2 years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madisonsmiley said:

"There are a few on this forum who were board members, didn’t meet their numbers, and then tried to take the whole corps down with their exit." Can you give us specifics? 

"But they don’t know, they know diddly about the activity in its current state, diddly about how the non profit arts work, diddly about how to develop funds for it, diddly about show design… you get the point." Can you give us more specifics? Who is "they" and how do you know what "they" know or don't know? 

Thanks! 

people forget....Boston was a charter member and didn't make finals until 1999. a couple of top 6 placements and it wasn't until 2017 they became a top 6 regular, last year finally getting a medal. but in that time, especially after 1983, a lot of behind the scenes things had to and did finally happen to get where the corps is now. so a lot of what led to the current contender happened far and away from public view. maybe this is whats happening with Madison now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've read this entire thread with great interest. I struggle with dividing up the amount of angst I see thrown Madison's direction by so many and wanting to remain positive about the improvement I can see in this corps.  I feel for these kids busting their butts daily only to come online and see so much anger and judgement. Even if it is aimed "at admin" its still mud in the face. My favorite comment was "they had 3 years to turn it around. So was that 2020 year that should have been the magic year when we all lost 50-70% of our revenue AND a lost season to recruit with? Or was it in 2021 when we had a 5 week non competitive "season" with about 8 shows and oh let's say 5 months to plan for it because nothing got decided until Januals? Should THAT have been the magic year to turn it all around?  Or was it in 2022, amidst a season where most corps barely held it together while bleeding out money trying to mitigate  COVID outbreaks? Was THAT the season of the magic turnaround?  Last I checked they improved by 3 spots last year so maybe it was. 

Troopers and Colts both spent 10 years at least down in those 13-17 spots. But I guess we are okay with that because they've always been bubble contenders. Madison has 2 championships and spent most of their history in the middle of the pack ranging from 4th to 8th so I understand the frustration.  In the 22 years of the 2000's, they've mostly languished in the bottom 3rd of the top 12 dipping in and out of finals 7 times in 19 seasons with 2018 being a historical low. Yet they improved 3 places last year. Yes i realize they aren't back in 12 yet but I have faith it's coming. I just take exception with a ton of people seemingly expecting some miracle there instead of just supporting the corps as they turn the ship around. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, Reggi93 said:

I've read this entire thread with great interest. I struggle with dividing up the amount of angst I see thrown Madison's direction by so many and wanting to remain positive about the improvement I can see in this corps.  I feel for these kids busting their butts daily only to come online and see so much anger and judgement. Even if it is aimed "at admin" its still mud in the face. My favorite comment was "they had 3 years to turn it around. So was that 2020 year that should have been the magic year when we all lost 50-70% of our revenue AND a lost season to recruit with? Or was it in 2021 when we had a 5 week non competitive "season" with about 8 shows and oh let's say 5 months to plan for it because nothing got decided until Januals? Should THAT have been the magic year to turn it all around?  Or was it in 2022, amidst a season where most corps barely held it together while bleeding out money trying to mitigate  COVID outbreaks? Was THAT the season of the magic turnaround?  Last I checked they improved by 3 spots last year so maybe it was. 

Troopers and Colts both spent 10 years at least down in those 13-17 spots. But I guess we are okay with that because they've always been bubble contenders. Madison has 2 championships and spent most of their history in the middle of the pack ranging from 4th to 8th so I understand the frustration.  In the 22 years of the 2000's, they've mostly languished in the bottom 3rd of the top 12 dipping in and out of finals 7 times in 19 seasons with 2018 being a historical low. Yet they improved 3 places last year. Yes i realize they aren't back in 12 yet but I have faith it's coming. I just take exception with a ton of people seemingly expecting some miracle there instead of just supporting the corps as they turn the ship around. 

And here is where this thread should end. 

Well said!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Cainan said:

And here is where this thread should end. 

Well said!

IIRC only once in the past 20 years of DCP have we had to close one of these <insert corpsname><insertyear> discussion threads because it was hijacked by people insisting on arguing way off the intended topic. 

This one is getting close to being #2 - folks, please bring it back to Madison 2023. IMO this year's production deserves attention.

Will be interesting to see how they score Friday in DeKalb after several practice days.  Genesis & Crossmen are also debuting there.  Stage is set for Madison to make a statement by out-scouring these two.  Troopers & Colts also there, but unless something dramatic happens I think these 2 are out of reach for now.  

• Like 1