Bluecoats 2023

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I don’t think the average audience member is able to pick up the anti-religious undertones of the poem. I highly doubt the show concept itself is the reason for the tepid responses 

And also, the "priests" are a pretty comedic part of the show. They're just funny with the hats and the veils and they way they bounce around with the sort of bawdy farce music that is happening. They remind me more of the mushrooms in Fantasia than religious figures.

A few weeks ago, I thought they might be better served by reading the poem in its entirety at the beginning, to set the stage for what is about to happen, and then again at the end, for people to contemplate what they just saw. That said, they've improved the "cuisinart" chopping of the verse a great deal, and it is much for effectively layered as a musical/rhythmic texture than it was early in the season. As usual, they are making all the right changes. 

• Like 2

I’m assuming y’all mean anti-Organized religion. Everything I’ve read about William Blake says he was very much a devout Christian. He was not fond of the Church of England (understatement)

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yeah. Blake wasn’t anti-religion as much as he was anti-Church. His spirituality remained strongly Christian albeit centered around a mysticism rather than dogma. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

The source poem and it's author are widely known for being anti-religion and that is how that connection is being made. 

Sorry to disagree with you. This William Blake poem is anti-moralism (as evidenced by the "Thou shall nots) not anti-religion, per se. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

A few weeks ago, I thought they might be better served by reading the poem in its entirety at the beginning, to set the stage for what is about to happen, and then again at the end, for people to contemplate what they just saw. That said, they've improved the "cuisinart" chopping of the verse a great deal, and it is much for effectively layered as a musical/rhythmic texture than it was early in the season. As usual, they are making all the right changes. 

Not only the poem, look at Jacob TV's "The Garden of Love".  I think this is much more the basis of what Bluecoats design team is focusing on.

• Like 1

Regardless of the context, some people still view The Garden of Love as very anti-religion. I remember seeing somebody on the drum corps reddit when the show was announced stating that they won’t like the show regardless of what it looks or sounds like solely because its The Garden of Love. 

36 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

Regardless of the context, some people still view The Garden of Love as very anti-religion. I remember seeing somebody on the drum corps reddit when the show was announced stating that they won’t like the show regardless of what it looks or sounds like solely because its The Garden of Love. 

(I love that--regardless of context!) Well, bless their heart

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I’m assuming y’all mean anti-Organized religion. Everything I’ve read about William Blake says he was very much a devout Christian. He was not fond of the Church of England (understatement)

Yes, anti-organized religion. Atleast for me.