Bluecoats 2023

Good luck tonight Bloo! I saved my last edible for you 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Tonight is the night. Bloo has a fantastic show, but realistically, Bloo could end as high as 2nd, or as low as 4th. So whether we land Gold, Silver, Bronze or 3rd runner-up, let’s show why Bloo fans are known for our class and cheer for all our worthy competitors.

Being a BD fan will never stop me from loving other corps and their shows. Once again Bloo is giving us a dazzling artistic vision on the field that is as fun as heck and performed at the highest level. Can’t wait to see it again tonight and yell “Blooooooo” as loud as I can. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Make sure to eat it around Colts to give it time to kick in

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

BD is so well-honed (for a variety of reasons) that their shows both look and sound 80% the same. This might not be so obvious if their show concepts weren’t so narrow. 

Fwiw I also generally don’t care for the other tropes in DCI. It doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate their relative achievements, but sameness for me isn’t a benefit to my appreciation of a show. It’s likely that the sameness is something that makes it easier for corps recruit and raise funding (alums tend to be attached to their era of a corps—we have seen this in spades with Madison,  Phantom and Cadets). 

The sameness (a nice way of saying predictability) is a lot easier to accept if you keep winning. If you’re Madison, it may not be a winning strategy.

That’s why I think Bluecoats is smart to establish a general edgy brand image rather than something as extremely narrow as BD. Bloo can do Beatles and then do R&R and then Garden of Love and it still sits in their creative wheelhouse.

I am aware enough to recognize that BD is just simply better than everyone else by a significant margin. But I don’t think that has anything to do with their show styles, which is why I would like to see them risk more. BD is playing it safe, because they keep winning.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

BD is so well-honed (for a variety of reasons) that their shows both look and sound 80% the same. This might not be so obvious if their show concepts weren’t so narrow. 

Fwiw I also generally don’t care for the other tropes in DCI. It doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate their relative achievements, but sameness for me isn’t a benefit to my appreciation of a show. It’s likely that the sameness is something that makes it easier for corps recruit and raise funding (alums tend to be attached to their era of a corps—we have seen this in spades with Madison,  Phantom and Cadets). 

The sameness (a nice way of saying predictability) is a lot easier to accept if you keep winning. If you’re Madison, it may not be a winning strategy.

That’s why I think Bluecoats is smart to establish a general edgy brand image rather than something as extremely narrow as BD. Bloo can do Beatles and then do R&R and then Garden of Love and it still sits in their creative wheelhouse.

I am aware enough to recognize that BD is just simply better than everyone else by a significant margin. But I don’t think that has anything to do with their show styles, which is why I would like to see them risk more. BD is playing it safe, because they keep winning.

I'm curious as to in what ways you think they are significantly BETTER than everyone else?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Is it blue? Asking for a friend....

3 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

I'm curious as to in what ways you think they are significantly BETTER than everyone else?

I think last night's recap speaks for itself.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Just checked the recap … yup, they are a point and a half up. I love Bloo. I’m a huge supporter, but BD is from another planet … Mars, I think. But I am super proud of their second place seeding. Excellent run, Bloo. Let’s do it one more time.

Bloo's show is amazing. Visually, it is hands down my favorite. Musically it's super good, but I'm a classical music guy. If it weren't for Bluecoats visual programs I probably wouldn't care much for them at all. They are just so weird, unique and beautiful. Yes, this entire show is beautiful. Last year's was beautiful. 2019's was beautiful. I just love all the color and variations in their programs. Really spectacular.

BD is going to win. It is what it is. But tonight will be the last time I ever watch or listen to this BD show again. It's a great show, no doubt, but it's not my cup of tea. I will be watching and listening to Crown, Bloo, Boston, Cadets, and Regiment for years to come. Bloo is the odd man out there - no classical, but it's like the lesson I learned from Hamilton, "great music is great music regardless of genre." Bluecoats are great everything regards of musical genre. 

GOOOO BLOOO! I'll be screaming loud for you from my couch.

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 2