Dome Shows

On 8/19/2022 at 11:02 AM, Phantom56 said:

In five-seven years, temps in Texas and Oklahoma won't be 103 in July--they will be 110. 

Actually, no.  Seven years from now, temperatures will be what they have been typically, and we will reminisce about how it was really hot in July 2022.

As for the original concept, most of the salient points have been posted already.  Not enough suitable indoor venues.  Many critical locations have none.  Cost.  Number of shows has already been cut back.  Telling the majority of existing corps that they cannot host a home show as a fundraiser would hurt their finances.

But here is one perspective I can add.  I prefer outdoor shows.  Always have for ensembles of this magnitude, and it is more critical today with larger corps, acoustic and electronic sounds competing for attention, and the increased density and subtlety of music arrangements.

I suppose we could let the market decide.  If enough of us fans prefer indoor venues and vote with our feet, their attendance figures will make them more practical over time.  Other than that, my blank-slate suggestion is that if you really want indoor drum corps, consider doing it with either a simpler music format (i.e. limited or no electronics), or smaller ensembles.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Actually, no.  Seven years from now, temperatures will be what they have been typically, and we will reminisce about how it was really hot in July 2022.

As for the original concept, most of the salient points have been posted already.  Not enough suitable indoor venues.  Many critical locations have none.  Cost.  Number of shows has already been cut back.  Telling the majority of existing corps that they cannot host a home show as a fundraiser would hurt their finances.

But here is one perspective I can add.  I prefer outdoor shows.  Always have for ensembles of this magnitude, and it is more critical today with larger corps, acoustic and electronic sounds competing for attention, and the increased density and subtlety of music arrangements.

I suppose we could let the market decide.  If enough of us fans prefer indoor venues and vote with our feet, their attendance figures will make them more practical over time.  Other than that, my blank-slate suggestion is that if you really want indoor drum corps, consider doing it with either a simpler music format (i.e. limited or no electronics), or smaller ensembles.

I should have "baked" my original post longer. As it now appears "half baked". My list of markets was semi-arbitrary which rightfully has people replying "What about this show...or X Corps lost their home show". 

What I MEANT to do was introduce an idea. Not enough domes? Okay, but is there a hybrid version of the idea that increases the number of domes ( which again, success in filling these domes will eventually require some real marketing), takes into account the regions I missed, doesn't stomp on any "sacred cows" that simply have to be there for it to be considered workable, and still achieves a net positive with respect to growing the activity. 

Normally, to change anything, there has to be a pretty compelling dissatisfaction with the current state. That I have. The current state charges too much to MM's to march, very poorly markets shows that are in danger of not occurring the moment they are contracted ( weather), and seems to be, quite frankly, in a rut. I have a bad habit of looking at just about anything and thinking "but if you did this or that,..would it be better?" 

I guess I should just count myself lucky that my older brother marched SOA in its hay-day and I was close enough to start going to shows in Atlanta and Chattanooga in my mid-teens. Because DCI wasn't marketing well back then either. Had he not been in a corps, I probably STILL wouldn't know about drum corps. THIS is what I'm trying to affect. How do we get drum corps out of the rut of the same tour, same markets, same weather exposure, etc. that seems to have done nothing to GROW a fanbase since 1972. Establish a fanbase? Yes...that got done. Grow it? Not even close. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

What I MEANT to do was introduce an idea. Not enough domes? Okay, but is there a hybrid version of the idea that increases the number of domes ( which again, success in filling these domes will eventually require some real marketing), takes into account the regions I missed, doesn't stomp on any "sacred cows" that simply have to be there for it to be considered workable, and still achieves a net positive with respect to growing the activity. 

No harm in putting ideas out here.

Normally, to change anything, there has to be a pretty compelling dissatisfaction with the current state. That I have. The current state charges too much to MM's to march, very poorly markets shows that are in danger of not occurring the moment they are contracted ( weather), and seems to be, quite frankly, in a rut. I have a bad habit of looking at just about anything and thinking "but if you did this or that,..would it be better?" 

I know how you feel.  I still have a disagreement or three about how DCI structures their tours.

One thing I have learned, though, is that the "rut" you speak of is not just a rut.  It is the single most carefully analyzed, planned, structured, developed, debated, re-developed and revamped rut in all of DCI operations.  The whole tour schedule is created in a process that spans more than the 12 months you would think it would.  Where shows are held, what sequence of locations makes logical tours, when certain focus shows are scheduled to coincide with music industry conventions, what venues are chosen, who partners with whom to run each event, how many shows each corps does... all these choices are made based on dozens of factors that are closely monitored and/or negotiated far in advance.  That is one reason why they can publish the tour schedule in November - because they already have it developed and agreed upon in September.

Over time, that rut could shift.  It would just take more than a couple of stars aligning to make a sufficiently compelling case for the change.

Establish a fanbase? Yes...that got done. Grow it? Not even close. 

Now you are speaking my language.

• Like 3

On 8/20/2022 at 10:59 AM, denmum said:

Jeff-why don't you consider coming out to Indy next year. I have a 50 yd. line seat for you and I guarantee you will recognize some Friends sitting with you.

because i am not leaving the family at home. while 2 nights at Allentown with roughly 10-11 corps per night is good for the 10 year old, the entire trip to Indy is not. if i buy a ticket i want to watch the whole show, and she isn't sitting thru all of prelims, and i am not ditching my wife and daughter so i can sit and watch drum corps all day. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 1:37 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I won't call you spoiled or entitled.

I'll just call you lucky to live with a 2-hr drive of the "DCI Tour Rut" (same locations every year in the same order).

I am not so lucky (from a DCI-tour standpoint)  

i used to have a show every weekend, and a few during the week for probably half the season in total. Now i get one weekend. 

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

because i am not leaving the family at home. while 2 nights at Allentown with roughly 10-11 corps per night is good for the 10 year old, the entire trip to Indy is not. if i buy a ticket i want to watch the whole show, and she isn't sitting thru all of prelims, and i am not ditching my wife and daughter so i can sit and watch drum corps all day. 

Got it.

41 minutes ago, denmum said:

Got it.

some things are more important.

9 minutes ago, skevinp said:

And you call yourself a drum corps fan.  😆

i am. which means i like to keep 50% of everything i own so i can keep watching 😂

• Haha 3