Dome Shows

31 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

HS stadium, with a well established relationship i am sure helps keep costs down. the Allentown committee does no much of the advertising in the region, DCI doesn't have to pay to do it. Allentown provides dozens if not 100 volunteers which helps. the biggest challenge is housing in the area. past abuses in school care, and then of course Hopghazi has limited local housing.

You are correct, plus being 2 nights and decent crowds it all adds up to good Net Profits.

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

:guinesssmilie:

We are taste testing single malt Scotch today. Smokey Lagavulin right now.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I never had scotch but the only drink I miss now is an old fashioned made with Bulliet rye and garnished with a luxardo cherry.

Then here is your official invitation for next year-this year 6 of us drove to Rick's Boatyard Cafe 20 minutes or so from downtown for lunch on Fri. and started with that exact Old Fashioned. We all said it was one of the best ever and what atmosphere. Reminded all of us of a place in Annapolis. Just beautiful. I'm sure we will go again next year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, denmum said:

Then here is your official invitation for next year-this year 6 of us drove to Rick's Boatyard Cafe 20 minutes or so from downtown for lunch on Fri. and started with that exact Old Fashioned. We all said it was one of the best ever and what atmosphere. Reminded all of us of a place in Annapolis. Just beautiful. I'm sure we will go again next year.

Are y’all Shriners? J/k!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I'm certain I haven't thought this all the way through...and that DCP will point it out while laughing me out of the room. 

But what if DCI went into "blank sheet" startover mode...( bear with me) ...with regards to touring. 

What if the number of events in a tour were decreased, and the number of big DOME shows were increased. Right now a corps ends up marching right at 30+ shows before Finals is over. 

What if the tour was 15-20 shows, but all in major markets throughout the US that have the stadiums to support big shows and big crowds. Less shows but bigger shows? More time to rehearse between shows, less rainouts, less wear on the kids/staff, etc. 

What if opening night was like a Super Regional with all the Corps. And then move the whole thing from market to market...Saturday and Wednesday shows only. Major markets. Big crowds. 

Start tour in Indy...then go to: 
Detroit
Chicago
St. Louis
Houston
Phoenix 
LA 
San Francisco 
One week travel/rehearsal to get to: 
Milwaukee
Cincinnati
Houston
Austin
New Orleans
Nashville
Atlanta
Raleigh
Pittsburgh
Columbus, OH
Indy Prelims
Indy Semis
Indy Finals

Big markets that will have the best chance at housing all the corps...more exposure in bigger stadiums. Targeted advertising in those markets on TV/Radio. 

Yes...I know this is "not the way it's always been"...but could it be this way? 

So Blue Knights, Troopers, Mandarins, Blue Stars, Colts, Bluecoats, Boston, Cadets, Crossmen, Madison, Jersey Surf, Pacific Crest dont get to host a show? Not to mention the numerous Open Class only shows as well?

Somehow I dont think this would pass muster with the member corps...

Edited by Cainan

4 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

this would eliminate Corps Encore, which is the first show and home show for Battalion, is usually one of the first shows for BK and the Academy. this is also a usually nearly sold out show. its also the closest show to myself. i'd rather not get rid of that.

If you recall, we decided several weeks ago that you will be on the field marching next season.  Thus, you will march where they tell you to march.   

And one thing you’ll learn is that from a performer’s point of view most stadiums are similar.  A few stick out, but most of what you’ll remember is snippets of what happened during the performance that was unusual.  I know that is how it was for me - you are concentrating so hard you don’t actually remember the actual performance.  

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Are y’all Shriners? J/k!

Yes, I am Bill Shriner, no, just kidding. What do you mean ? Why do you ask ? I know about the Shriner's organization, but why do you ask that ?

44 minutes ago, denmum said:

Yes, I am Bill Shriner, no, just kidding. What do you mean ? Why do you ask ? I know about the Shriner's organization, but why do you ask that ?

Well, we are good friends and enjoy each other's company but notice I did not say I would pay for Terri's Old Fashioned- (but I would have).

• Thanks 1