“Hazing” Consequences (non-DC)

On 8/25/2022 at 10:05 PM, Chief Guns said:

Nice! Me too!! Golden's are rare. I still carry my Golden card in my wallet lol. 

Golden Shellback here also.

My Uncle was a Horned Shellback, and bragged all the time. He always talked about how he was allowed to "spit into the wind". 😆

• Like 1

I don't get where this thread is going. Have there been new accusations of harassment that some people have heard? I have been under the impression that DCI and the corps themselves have been aggressive on ridding this type of behavior.  With sexual harassment trainings, formal reporting standards, bus monitoring and the like, hasn't the landscape changed?  Or are we just rehashing past outrages?

2 hours ago, kkrepps said:

Golden Shellback here also.

My Uncle was a Horned Shellback, and bragged all the time. He always talked about how he was allowed to "spit into the wind". 😆

That's rare! I don't think I ever met a Horned. That's freaking legit. I would brag about that too if I was him lol. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, craiga said:

I don't get where this thread is going. Have there been new accusations of harassment that some people have heard? I have been under the impression that DCI and the corps themselves have been aggressive on ridding this type of behavior.  With sexual harassment trainings, formal reporting standards, bus monitoring and the like, hasn't the landscape changed?  Or are we just rehashing past outrages?

No idea where the thread is going but want to point out just having a policy and training doesn’t mean squat until peoples mindset changes. And that can take a long time until the hard heads are gone. 

Saw it when the Navy ( I’m a civilian employee) implemented after Tailhook scandal. I’ll believe real progress has been made when a corps doesn’t follow through and DCI drops the hammer.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I get it...just waiting to hear which hard heads need changing.  I can't believe that in 2022, given the revelations over the past several years, that ANYONE in a position of authority still doesn’t get it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, craiga said:

I get it...just waiting to hear which hard heads need changing.  I can't believe that in 2022, given the revelations over the past several years, that ANYONE in a position of authority still doesn’t get it.

That is what we were all saying earlier in 2022, when Spirit of Atlanta had to bow out over hazing/harassment issues.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim said he’s never been in a sub so that’s impressive.

No Sub's for me either. I wasn't built for that life. I am not man enough to handle what they go thru weeks and months underwater at a time. 

Mad respect to the Submariner community. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 3:19 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

For those of us over 40… yes THAT Middletown.. home of Three Mile Island…

The Byron nuclear power plant cooling towers saved my ### back in 94. Regiment was rehearsing in Byron and, one night, I borrowed a friend’s car to take a girl into Rockford to see a movie. (The Crow. Ugh.) I thought I had a handle on how to find my way back but … I didn’t. 

In  short order, I became utterly, hopelessly lost. After midnight, with no phone, in the middle of nowhere. I began to panic, thinking I’d have to sleep in the car on the side of the road, knock on someone’s door to use a phone, and show up God only knows how late to rehearsal the next morning. Panic.

But then, in the darkest moment of my despair, I found a glimmer of hope. Literally: the faint light of those Byron cooling towers.

I pointed the car towards the twin glow of those beautiful, atomic powered lighthouses, floating across an endless sea of corn. (At least, that’s what it felt like.)

The going was still rough. Those country highways tend to meander, and I was led astray more than once along a false path. But, I had faith. (Or, at least, hope.) It took a few u-turns here and there, but I eventually found my way “home.” 

• Haha 3