The whistleblowers and survivors of abuse in this industry are tired...

I was just shadowbanned from reddit for sharing my MAASIN report of abuse/neglect at the Santa Clara Vanguard a few decades back. https://www.maasin.net/blog/open-letter-to-the-drum-corps-community-megan-de-roiz-yankee

This was after some anon user, who is on DCP and reddit, decided to call me out under my anon reddit account for being anon there but not on DCP. That is also considered bullying. Most people who aren't whistleblowers have no idea the lengths we have to go to stay safe.

This was also after I was told by a different DCPer that I really should take that break I said I would because my recent posts have been "immature."

Just know, DCP: I get bullied here and reddit regularly. I watch as other survivors are as well, and try to reach out to them when I catch it fast enough. These were my chosen platforms because I thought I would be heard and honored. In many cases I have been. In many others, unseen by most because they're hidden in private messages, I have been demoralized. Some of you may have even witnessed some of the bullying before mods removed it. While most of my interactions on DCP have been civil, the ones that have been toxic have been really bad and have challenged my mental health... often over trivial matters, which is the easiest way for trolls do their thing. They can't argue the facts of our stories so they go for low hanging fruit.

All in all, this doesn't help create the open, supportive community needed to advance safeguarding in drum corps. I've watched as at least two or three survivors I know across platforms just withered away from them in frustration and exhaustion... because fans and some rigid alum are unwilling to treat survivors with the respect and dignity we deserve. We aren't perfect and I don't pretend to always be right, but there are foundational ways of treating survivors that help us feel safe, heard and welcome. This community and reddit are not showing that they grasp those fundamentals yet, so, you'll continue to see us fade away and abuse will continue unfettered.

At worst, you have survivors who (1) endured lasting injuries and humiliating harassment .... who then (2) do the work of acceptance and moving on ... and who (3) also want to return and enjoy some of what we used to enjoy in the activity ... only to be harassed again by trolls from inside the activity AND by fans who are unable to accept the complexities of abuse in this industry ...

THIS MEANS THAT SURVIVORS WHO WERE HARASSED AND ABUSED WHILE THEY WERE MARCHING ARE RETURNING TO COMMUNITY FORUMS ONLY TO BE BULLIED MORE. Are you okay with that, given this is a youth education activity?

We, survivors, are tired. We're frustrated. It's your turn.  If you had/have a good time while marching, it's your duty to honor and support those of us that didn't and how are fighting for change. 👀 If you're a fan, you're just as responsible for doing this or your money will continue to go to groups that aren't protecting young bodies and minds. I'm not sure if the report of abuse in Raiders this last year has made it to DCP yet, but it will soon. This is far from over.

P.S. Do you want to know what makes me the saddest about this whole thing? The more I share, the fewer SCV alum want to be in contact with me. My "family" wants nothing to do with me, it would seem. Is that how it's supposed to be? Is that how your alum and org treat you?

• Thanks 9
  • Sad 1

For the purpose of archiving this somewhere on the internet that hasn't banned me yet...

...and for the benefit of any other survivors and whistleblowers out there who need breadcrumbs...

Here's what I've attempted to do to communicate my story to wider audiences:

(1) Released through MAASIN for broader coverage and in-depth whistleblower support (they were the first to listen outside of my small alum circle and loved ones)

(2) MAASIN shared through social media (Twitter, Insta, FB), it dies within days, no discussion

(3) I shared the MAASIN link on DCP prior to 2022 season. Experienced immediate bullying/ignorance about how to support whistleblowers from users, inactivated the account for fear of doxxing:

(4) I shared the MAASIN link on Reddit prior to 2022 season, was given an award by anon user and then shadowbanned. You can only see this if you have the link or know the title to search:

(5) Link to recently shadowbanned account/post on reddit. It had thousands of views and plenty of upvotes/comments before I was shadowbanned:

(6) In an attempt to be more subtle (failed) and to rekindle some of my love for this industry, I rejoined DCP and am sharing this one last time above.

Where else are we supposed to go except away?

Edited by scheherazadesghost
typo, nothing has been removed or modified otherwise
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I was just shadowbanned from reddit for sharing my MAASIN report of abuse/neglect at the Santa Clara Vanguard a few decades back. https://www.maasin.net/blog/open-letter-to-the-drum-corps-community-megan-de-roiz-yankee

This was after some anon user, who is on DCP and reddit, decided to call me out under my anon reddit account for being anon there but not on DCP. That is also considered bullying. Most people who aren't whistleblowers have no idea the lengths we have to go to stay safe.

Concerning that you were shadow banned but not surprised. The Reddit community is full of ill will. Were you told by the admins what rule you "violated?" Not that it matters and don't feel obligated to post a response as you are under no obligation to any online community with the exception of following posting rules (which from following your posts over the last few months, you absolutely do.)

While most of my interactions on DCP have been civil, the ones that have been toxic have been really bad and have challenged my mental health... often over trivial matters, which is the easiest way for trolls do their thing. They can't argue the facts of our stories so they go for low hanging fruit.

Much as with any social media platform, the trolls are typically what I would call the "loud minority." Their tactics of gaslighting, bullying and narcissistic baiting are the same as what they use on all of the other platforms. You cannot win these battles as they have one intention which is to harm. I do not always agree with every aspect of every post. I DO however, try to have a meaningful dialog and find common ground. 

If you had/have a good time while marching, it's your duty to honor and support those of us that didn't and how are fighting for change.

This is always the hardest part to address in words. I had a good experience. I cannot honestly remember any of what would be considered abuse. Tough words, sure. The time was different but that isn't an excuse. Performers and staff should be cared for and protected. I have offered my services to help create documentation and even curriculum related to the safety and welfare of members. I do this for a living in the corporate world. As I have no experience with abuse, I can only offer my empathy and what skills I have gained over many years of corporate life to help mitigate abuse and harassment. In my mind, that is how I can best honor those who are survivors. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

i rarely venture into Reddit anymore...i got called out for being "old" because i said i marched in the 90's while showing support for a survivor.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Out of curiosity. Do any of these reports lead to legal repercussions?  

change happens when those in power are afraid of losing something.   Be it their control, or their bank accounts. 

have reports lead to repercussions of any sort?   Beyond the repercussions of public opinion? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Out of curiosity. Do any of these reports lead to legal repercussions?  

change happens when those in power are afraid of losing something.   Be it their control, or their bank accounts. 

have reports lead to repercussions of any sort?   Beyond the repercussions of public opinion? 

well we know of one case that went to court. we know of some corps that either folded or temporarily inactive

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

well we know of one case that went to court. we know of some corps that either folded or temporarily inactive

Yup.  Individual accused of rape & other sexual assaults got 2 years probation & a fine.  Corps that had issues was shut down (which DCI was happy to do because they didn’t fit in the current ‘DCI Brand’). 

• Sad 1

Thank you for this.

22 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Concerning that you were shadow banned but not surprised. The Reddit community is full of ill will. Were you told by the admins what rule you "violated?" Not that it matters and don't feel obligated to post a response as you are under no obligation to any online community with the exception of following posting rules (which from following your posts over the last few months, you absolutely do.)

Reddit is telling me to talk to mods and mods are telling me to talk to Reddit atm. Mods confirmed that they didn't shadowban or delete anything. They say this every time and it's only when I post about this that it happens so if it's getting caught up in a sitewide filter, I'd prefer to know what it is. The ultimate repercussion is that whistleblowers aren't heard on their platform.

Much as with any social media platform, the trolls are typically what I would call the "loud minority." Their tactics of gaslighting, bullying and narcissistic baiting are the same as what they use on all of the other platforms. You cannot win these battles as they have one intention which is to harm. I do not always agree with every aspect of every post. I DO however, try to have a meaningful dialog and find common ground. 

I see this from you and many others consistently. I try (and often fail) to do the same. Thanks to you and others who have actively been holding the space.

This is always the hardest part to address in words. I had a good experience. I cannot honestly remember any of what would be considered abuse. Tough words, sure. The time was different but that isn't an excuse. Performers and staff should be cared for and protected. I have offered my services to help create documentation and even curriculum related to the safety and welfare of members. I do this for a living in the corporate world. As I have no experience with abuse, I can only offer my empathy and what skills I have gained over many years of corporate life to help mitigate abuse and harassment. In my mind, that is how I can best honor those who are survivors. 

I've studied the Bystander Effect for a long time so I'm both compassionate and challenging for folks who see misconduct but don't/can't say anything. Thanks for modeling how to hold space on this platform. We don't have to do what you do for a living to hold space for each other. I'm still figuring out how do to it in this and many other professional spaces.