Queen Elizabeth II Funeral Pomp & Circumstance

5 hours ago, MikeD said:

My daughter lives in London, Greenwich to be more precise.

She came home to visit us a few weeks back, and flies back tomorrow.

When she came here it was Queen Elizabeth and PM Boris Johnson, 

She flies home to King Charles and PM Liz Truss.

I think it is her fault.    😃

Funny that you place blame on your daughter … my mother recently passed at the age of 98 (it’s OK, 98 years is a good run … she was in hospice). My niece was there when she died. In Oakland County Michigan, a police officer needs to come and verify the death. The cop asked my niece, “So you were the only one here when she died?” She was. I told my niece, “You know what this means … You’re a suspect.”

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, Cainan said:

It has been non stop since the second she passed... As an American living in the UK, this has been amazing to witness. I have lived here 21 years and now hold dual citizenship. I do consider myself to be a staunch Royalist. The fact that the United Kingdom has a non political head of state is unique in the world.

Queen Elizabeth was queen for seven decades. She saw 15 prime ministers with Winston Churchill being her first. The pomp and circumstance that surrounded her ascension to the throne whilst covered by TV, much is still a mystery as it wouldnt have been video recorded. What we will see overr the next several days will be nothing short of amazing, but for those who remember Dianas funeral or that of Prince Philip recently will have witnessed but a small taste of what is to come for Her Majesty's funeral.

So where we are at now is that the Queen will now lie in state in Edinburgh for a day before she is flown to London where she will lie in state in Westminster Abbey. Whilst lying in state we will witness the Vigil of Princes. We will see Prince William, Prince Edward, Prince Andrew and I believe Prince Harry guarding her body. Today King Charles III has been officially proclaimed King by the Privy Council and that proclomation will occur in every town and village over the next few days. I will be going to my town's town hall tomorrow at 3:00 to witness our proclomation ceremony. Other things that have happened are the heirs to the throne have now progressed up the lasser a bit. Prince William is no longer the Duke of Cambridge, he is now the Prince of Wales and his wife has been asked to take and has accepted the title Princess of Wales. The last Princess of Wales in the UK was Diana. Further changes also surround Harrys kids as they are now officially a prince and princess... Regardless of what Meghan thought, their lack of title had NOTHING to do woth them being of mixed race and everything to do with the George V Conventions.

the heirs and the spares

2 hours ago, DWW11 said:

It was only months before Charlotte was born. Queens, before then, were the heirs to a throne with no male children. And Elizabeth only became Queen because her uncle abdicated his crown, and it passed to Elizabeth’s father. She was never expected to rule when she was born. 

Yes, I see the distinction you make. Royal Succession can become quite dicey, but there's always a fine display of horns, banners and drums involved, not to mention horses.

This next round will be no exception.

13 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So, does the title of Duke/Dutchess of Cambridge flow directly to someone else now that Prince Wm. has been promoted?

Also going to be interesting to see how much Andrew & Harry/the Megster participate.  Even more interesting will be to see where they are a year from now.  

My expertise is based on watching “Downton Abbey” “Victoria,” any other British period piece PBS offers, and  “The Crown,” and considering I’m a proud Irishman, or as Tom Branson of Downton might call me “a thick mick,” consider the source. I believe the title Cambridge is at the discretion of the Monarch and once it is awarded the person holds the title till death. You can also hold more than one title. You go by the highest ranking title then the lesser titles are courtesy titles. I don’t believe the title Cambridge or in the case of Harry Sussex is inherited by the respective children. I’m assuming William can surrender the title. 

Edited by Tim K

16 hours ago, ironlips said:

"...NOTHING to do woth them being of mixed race and everything to do with the George V Conventions."

C,

Can you elaborate a bit?

Cheers.

F

Meghan insinuated in the Oprah interview that the reason her kids weren't granted the titles (and everything that goes with those titles) of Prince and Princess was due to them being of mixed race. 

It had nothing at all to do with that and was more to do with the fact that they were simply too far down the Line of Succession.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/prince-harry-meghan-children-archie-lillibet-prince-princess-royal-titles-change/#:~:text=London — Archie and Lillibet%2C the,passing of Queen Elizabeth II.

Edited by Cainan

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

My expertise is based on watching “Downton Abbey” “Victoria,” any other British period piece PBS offers, and  “The Crown,” and considering I’m a proud Irishman, or as Tom Branson of Downton might call me “a thick mick,” consider the source. I believe the title Cambridge is at the discretion of the Monarch and once it is awarded the person holds the title till death. You can also hold more than one title. You go by the highest ranking title then the lesser titles are courtesy titles. I don’t believe the title Cambridge or in the case of Harry Sussex is inherited by the respective children. I’m assuming William can surrender the title. 

I believe you ate correct. Along with Wills and Kate being Prince and Prince if Wales, they also took titles as the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall, as well as titles in Scotland. 

Just now, DWW11 said:

I believe you ate correct. Along with Wills and Kate being Prince and Prince if Wales, they also took titles as the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall, as well as titles in Scotland. 

^ARE

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Funny that you place blame on your daughter … my mother recently passed at the age of 98 (it’s OK, 98 years is a good run … she was in hospice). My niece was there when she died. In Oakland County Michigan, a police officer needs to come and verify the death. The cop asked my niece, “So you were the only one here when she died?” She was. I told my niece, “You know what this means … You’re a suspect.”

May your mom Rest In Peace.  🙏

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1