Is there anyone here who marched a show from the 2000s onward?

I asked this on another thread once and was called rude, so I want to preface by saying I have no ill will. 

First of all I wanted to say I have immense respect for everyone who has ever marched. You are strong, resilient, and very talented! Yes I know I kind of have a reputation for being the "eww old dci bad" girl on here, but even if I didn't quite like the show, know that I really appreciate you! 

But basically what I wanted to say is a special thanks to every single person who contributed to some of my favorite songs in all of music. I listen to DCI stuff the same way people might listen to popular genres like rock or pop. Yeah, I dance to it. Yeah, I make playlists. You can call me "cringe", but DCI music just vibes with me. It brings out the emotions in me. 

I must confess, I do get a little starstruck meeting someone IRL who was part of my favorite bands (yes i do call it a band). It's just amazing to me to know that this one person contributed to my favorite songs. The songs I dance to after hearing good news. The songs I jokingly hum off-key to end in fits of laughter. The songs I turn to in times of great sadness. The songs that empower me to be myself and be better.

I know it won't mean much coming from me, but thank you to everyone who's ever marched.

• Thanks 2

I continue to appreciate your curiosity and enthusiasm expressed here, Orwellian Wiress!  Your perspective is refreshing, as I represent someone very much older (age 71).

I marched color guard for both Emmaus, PA Sentinels and Reading Buccaneers, and then did Alumni parades for both.  Really, marching competitive field shows ended for me in 1972. For the most part of all future years I served as an administrator and an event promoter.  My marching experience was dramatically different than what goes on today, for sure!

Drum Corps Planet used to be utilized more and, for the most part, comments were generally more lengthy, particularly from those who took the time to write show reviews. For some reason, corps became afraid of what their members might express here. Some prohibited members from contributing to DCP. I never supported such policies and considered it a lost opportunity for those groups.

Seems every corps substituted their own Facebook pages for public outreach.  Certainly, that should be one of their outlets, but using Facebook alone lacks in reaching the more general community. I never registered for Facebook and don’t ever plan to do so.  There is no way I would spend time visiting every single corps Facebook page to monitor this activity.

Please continue posting here. Perhaps, your interest will spread to others from your generation. Sadly, putting together more than a couple of sentences is too much a chore these days for some. That’s too bad.

Now, explain your choice of screen name!  I know who George Orwell was, of course. He predicted what we are seeing in America today, unfortunately.

Thanks!

Edited by Fred Windish

On 9/11/2022 at 1:41 AM, Orwellian Wiress said:

I asked this on another thread once and was called rude, so I want to preface by saying I have no ill will. 

First of all I wanted to say I have immense respect for everyone who has ever marched. You are strong, resilient, and very talented! Yes I know I kind of have a reputation for being the "eww old dci bad" girl on here, but even if I didn't quite like the show, know that I really appreciate you! 

But basically what I wanted to say is a special thanks to every single person who contributed to some of my favorite songs in all of music. I listen to DCI stuff the same way people might listen to popular genres like rock or pop. Yeah, I dance to it. Yeah, I make playlists. You can call me "cringe", but DCI music just vibes with me. It brings out the emotions in me. 

I must confess, I do get a little starstruck meeting someone IRL who was part of my favorite bands (yes i do call it a band). It's just amazing to me to know that this one person contributed to my favorite songs. The songs I dance to after hearing good news. The songs I jokingly hum off-key to end in fits of laughter. The songs I turn to in times of great sadness. The songs that empower me to be myself and be better.

I know it won't mean much coming from me, but thank you to everyone who's ever marched.

Your enthusiasm is always appreciated. I am one of the mid-aged folks on here who marched in the mid/late 80's into 1990. And let me let you in on a little secret. Drum corps, like all great performance art is very generational. There are people who stop their musical taste at swing and anything beyond that is "crap." My grandfather was this way. My father hated modern rock. It's natural. But most of us can APPRECIATE what the new corps are doing. I am AMAZED at what the cats do on the field. Do I love every "avante guard" show out there? Hell no. I don't really like BD's shows. I've been vocal about that. What I CAN do is listen with open ears, watch with open eyes and and appreciate with an open heart what is going on. 

What I have noticed about meeting folks who marched my favorite corps and or favorite shows is this. They're normal cats. Most of the time it's a combination of right time, right place, right talent and right attitude that winds you in a spot with a corps you want to march with. I have acquaintances from BD, PR, Skyryders, Star etc etc etc. I remember emailing and the meeting Kelley Houpt in 2005 (marched share for BD back in 1984 at our DCA show in Winston Salem. Super cool and just normal cat.)

The more you are exposed to the old stuff, the more you may realize that it's not that much different. We each have our unique perspectives and we are each entitled to our opinions on the direction the activity has moved. I personally, love it all because I truly understand the work involved. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

Guess I’m reading this wrong, thought forward meant marched 2000-2022. 🤷🏻

@Orwellian Wiress, as one of those performers from the mid-00s, thank you -- and I also have a question: why do you call drum corps "band"? I promise this is an honest question not intended to pick a fight or derail the conversation, I'd just like to understand your point of view as you've now referenced this several times and it seems a conscious choice.

In the fifteen years since my ageout, the activity has evolved tremendously, with much of that change continuing to blur the lines between corps and band. But while you're far from the only person to call corps "band", I'm curious why, for something that brings you so much joy, you choose to not refer to it by that which makes it unique amongst the other marching arts...are indoor drumlines and winter guards also "bands" to you?

It's clear that in 2022 this activity has far greater concerns to address than a potential identity crisis, but thanks for humoring me! 🙂

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I as well admire your enthusiasm.

May I suggest that you also learn the from the past - this is from 1973.  You will see members just as  dedicated then as they are now. It generally follows SCV, this was the first year of the bottle dance.

Thanks for sharing this! While I knew Fanfare & Allegro and Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra were SCV hallmarks [I'm familiar via 2003 and 2001 Cadets, respectively], I'm not sure I'd ever heard these SCV performances until now. Still impressive 49 years later!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I as well admire your enthusiasm.

May I suggest that you also learn the from the past - this is from 1973.  You will see members just as  dedicated then as they are now. It generally follows SCV, this was the first year of the bottle dance.

I laughed at the explanation of the judging system.  "The three remaining are the general effect judges."   With no explanation like the other judges had.  

Also lining up the opening set with a pole brought back memories.

There's also some camera work in there that rivals the worst of Flo Marching.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Haha 2

On 9/11/2022 at 9:52 AM, Fred Windish said:

I continue to appreciate your curiosity and enthusiasm expressed here, Orwellian Wiress!  Your perspective is refreshing, as I represent someone very much older (age 71).

I marched color guard for both Emmaus, PA Sentinels and Reading Buccaneers, and then did Alumni parades for both.  Really, marching competitive field shows ended for me in 1972. For the most part of all future years I served as an administrator and an event promoter.  My marching experience was dramatically different than what goes on today, for sure!

Drum Corps Planet used to be utilized more and, for the most part, comments were generally more lengthy, particularly from those who took the time to write show reviews. For some reason, corps became afraid of what their members might express here. Some prohibited members from contributing to DCP. I never supported such policies and considered it a lost opportunity for those groups.

Seems every corps substituted their own Facebook pages for public outreach.  Certainly, that should be one of their outlets, but using Facebook alone lacks in reaching the more general community. I never registered for Facebook and don’t ever plan to do so.  There is no way I would spend time visiting every single corps Facebook page to monitor this activity.

Please continue posting here. Perhaps, your interest will spread to others from your generation. Sadly, putting together more than a couple of sentences is too much a chore these days for some. That’s too bad.

Now, explain your choice of screen name!  I know who George Orwell was, of course. He predicted what we are seeing in America today, unfortunately.

Thanks!

I am going to take a guess on the Wiress part of the screen name. Wiress is a character in the Hunger Games trilogy, specifically Mockingjay: Catching Fire. The profile picture seems to back me up.