What happens to recordings/videos that are not released?

I was listening to 1987 this morning and thought to myself, what happens to the recordings from the non Finalists shows or even the prelim recordings of the the Top 12? Are they archived anywhere? Same thing with videos, especially nowadays with the Thursday and Friday recordings? I believe they do maintain some of them and my theory is based on the Legacy Blu-ray they released a few years back they can pull from them if they need to. If you watch the 87 Garfield show, you can hear the soloist at the end... prior to that Blu-ray release, you never heard it on the audio or VHS versions. They had to have pulled that from the Prelims show I would think. 

Take Crown 2015 - everyone swears their Finals show was flat, where are the videos from Thursday and Friday night? Were they blended into the Blu-ray release? 

It will never happen, but going back to 1987, it would be nice to have the recordings or even videos from Friday night - I want to believe they are stored somewhere, but the reality is even if they are along with all the recent recordings and videos - they will never see the light of day.  

There is an extremely high number of old recordings from during the season and at finals that are locked away in a DCI vault.  They will never be released for consumption.  The cost to get rights would be astronomical.  It's quite sad.  There are many shows I miss or was a part of .. and they can't be found anywhere other than on MIRC servers and private google drives.  Even then, there are thousands of hours in the DCI vault that no one has access to.

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

DCI keeps them in their chalet in the Swiss Alps; Corps directors watch them in the waiting room while they are waiting for their annual meeting where they are required to kiss DCI's Signet Ring.

I thought they were stored in the Disney Vault along with the original never to be seen again “Song of the South” and Walt Disney’s cryogenic frozen corpse.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, supersop said:

There is an extremely high number of old recordings from during the season and at finals that are locked away in a DCI vault.  They will never be released for consumption.  The cost to get rights would be astronomical.  It's quite sad.  There are many shows I miss or was a part of .. and they can't be found anywhere other than on MIRC servers and private google drives.  Even then, there are thousands of hours in the DCI vault that no one has access to.

How about skipping two years of props and all the Corps can put that money towards getting the rights for all this stuff 😁

3 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

How about skipping two years of props and all the Corps can put that money towards getting the rights for all this stuff 😁

not even close to enough. DCI had to cut a check for 6 figures before the decimal point to solve the issue with Tresona several years ago

On 10/7/2022 at 10:53 AM, keystone3ply said:

Listen close; I think this is Crown at a slower speed...

At at some point, it just becomes one chord that goes on literally FOREVER (Sort of like the closing chord at the kick halt in PR's 2010 show)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

DCI keeps them in their chalet in the Swiss Alps; Corps directors watch them in the waiting room while they are waiting for their annual meeting where they are required to kiss DCI's Signet Ring.

This is FAR funnier in so many ways than you will ever get credit for LOL. 

• Thanks 1