The Cadets 2023

4 hours ago, Dmlkmen said:

Although for now…...idk. Maybe some of you feel the same here…. I need to understand we are in a new era. And regarding that era, this one thing in the way I expect things to be needs to change for me….

Thanks for the well-written and honest post -- you are not alone. I, too, struggle with how the activity has evolved visually with regard to to what is the right balance between traditional drill, free-form movement, choreography, and yes, props. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anything particularly compelling in any of those areas yet.

Visual aside, programmatically the show is missing the emotional arc I'd have expected from something titled "Atlas Rising".  I'm left craving more drama, more struggle, more "heaviness", more room to breathe...something that allows the gorgeous "Immortal" to create the emotional release it deserves. Instead, this so far feels like paint-by-numbers: smooth, calculated, predictable.

That said, as a huge fan I wish this corps nothing but the best and trust they'll have worked their tails off to change my mind come August! Let this be the vehicle they deserve to continue their rise back up the ranks.

Edited by arabica
  • Like 1

I like this show! The high brass is really good

This show kind of gives me BOA vibes, (the ballad gives me Hebron 2019 vibes and the intricate brass 16th note stuff reminds me of Reagan 2022). I like it!

But I don’t really get the concept to the music.

The field level views so far definitely make the drill look cluttered, but I am sure up high that will be different.  Definitely a different direction (again) for The Cadets.  Love the ballad.  Gonna be a fun show!

Edited by MBo1974

Just in response to some comments made. Yes the drill is a bit condensed. They open up more right after the point where they stopped performing in the video. 

The video is only the first 3 of 5 total parts of the show. I’ve seen part 4, which they refer to as the ballad, and most of part 5. I really call the part 4 “ballad 2” and the first ballad “ballad 1” but they don’t really refer to the first one as their ballad even though it is an amazing and emotional moment musically. 

What isn’t shown a lot on the video due to quality is a lot of the choreo that is involved (and even choreo they haven’t officially used in run thrus yet) that demonstrate the whole athleticism, strength, etc theme they’re going for. I do think they’re also using a lot of guard tricks to try to portray that as well. Other than the music feeling superhero-like and the choreo that’s being added, I don’t see much of a storyline throughout. And I still haven’t figured out the props yet. Stupid me should just ask them since I’m there everyday, but I’m waiting for it to come to me. 

Either way, it is a very entertaining show and the music is really modern/classic cadets. Since day 1 that I saw them play I kept saying “#### I can’t wait to see this in Indy” because I know they’re going to turn on the burners and perform the hell out of this show. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

I like this show! The high brass is really good

This show kind of gives me BOA vibes, (the ballad gives me Hebron 2019 vibes and the intricate brass 16th note stuff reminds me of Reagan 2022). I like it!

But I don’t really get the concept to the music.

Love Hebron 2019, especially their ballad so that makes me excited to hear it! From what I’ve heard from people posting on here, I would be surprised to see them falling below top 6, the question would be if they could gain from an assumed one spot up with SCV not performing this year, and perhaps push upwards. It would be really tough to unseat any of Crown, Bloo, Boston, or BD. I’ll enjoy it regardless!

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1

Someone at the show posted this clip. If you want a better vantage point with a better look at the expanse of the field coverage check this out. The show is going to be wonderful I think. It's got that June 24 dirt and it's unfinished (only 3/5th performed) but this may give you a better idea of what they are going for. Plenty to come for sure (as with all the corps). 

https://youtu.be/8CqiOIxnOm8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Someone at the show posted this clip. If you want a better vantage point with a better look at the expanse of the field coverage check this out. The show is going to be wonderful I think. It's got that June 24 dirt and it's unfinished (only 3/5th performed) but this may give you a better idea of what they are going for. Plenty to come for sure (as with all the corps). 

https://youtu.be/8CqiOIxnOm8

Ooooh, really loved their mvt. 4, even though it was just standstill there. I’ve seen the Dark Night trilogy too many times to count, definitely got some goosebumps in that section for sure hearing that piece again!!

• Like 2

I also wanted to provide some information regarding the vision of the future of the Sport Park that is now home to the Cadets. 

Troy Bingham, who owns the sports park and was instrumental in getting the cadets to relocate, laid out the vision. He wants the park to be the world class facility for all sports and athletes. This includes the marching arts. The field the cadets performed on is going to be turned into a 3,000-5,000 seat stadium with turf field, flood lights and all. It’s rumored that this will become the new home of the Lake Erie Fanfare DCI show once the Cadets take ownership of it starting next year and make their official home show. 

For those who don’t know, the sports park is home to massive soccer tournaments all summer long, so this field would get a lot of use. There are also 7 other fields on the facility that will all be turned into turf fields. 

The Cadets, and local organizations, in conjunction with the sports park are also in the process of creating other youth organizations the benefit the local region. They did not offer specifics, but I foresee the return of a DCA corps, probably entrance into the WGI world, and other trainings for local marching arts programs. 

I can also say there is also work being done in the community in hopes of corporate sponsorships for The Cadets. These are all early stage projects, but definitely things that need to happen. 

The future is bright for The Cadets in Erie it would seem. And let me tell you, Troy is upstanding guy who puts every ounce of his being into making his visions happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

22 minutes ago, karuna said:

Cadillac of the Skies from the 2023 Cadets in memoriam...

https://www.facebook.com/reel/6313525792094844

What a beautiful tribute to those lost too soon. RIP

• Like 4