Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

28 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I don't want to get into an argument that has been covered multiple times.  As a professional musician, director and arranger, I can also appreciate playing different parts.  However, three people playing the same part and amplifying it is different than playing multiple brass or snares on the field that isn't amplified.

I have sung the national anthem at multiple NFL & MLB stadiums over the years with a single microphone and everyone heard me just fine in every one of them.

The issue here is $. The square/cubic footage that each marimba takes in a truck is more than any other instrument on the field. This creates the need for more vehicles, drivers, etc.  The same can be said for the increased use of props. Expenses are what has removed SCV from the field this year and has done so to many other corps over the past couple decades.  

We are getting close to DCA numbers of competing corps. They don't have a real need for prelims anymore other than order of performance at finals. Is this where we want the activity to go?

In 1999 the Crossmen used 3 marimbas and 5 vibes. In 2022 crown used 5 marimbas and 4 vibes. Yes the pit is bigger, but not radically from 23 years ago. 

Here is a question I do not know the answer to, how many corps use 2 tractor trailers as equipment trucks?

11 minutes ago, DAvery said:

True, but proper technique doesn't. Proper technique on a trumpet is the same no matter the surroundings. Do you have to change your technique in some surroundings? Sure, but then it is not exactly proper technique. 

The term of proper technique is a fallacy especially in the world of music.  Technique varies from corps to corps.  From orchestra to wind ensemble and country to country.  The basics are always there but an overall "proper technique"...sorry....not seeing it.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

In 1999 the Crossmen used 3 marimbas and 5 vibes. In 2022 crown used 5 marimbas and 4 vibes. Yes the pit is bigger, but not radically from 23 years ago. 

Here is a question I do not know the answer to, how many corps use 2 tractor trailers as equipment trucks?

The point being is that we added amps why are we not saving money and space with it yet as it was VERY much stated that it would?  I mean the was THE argument made for amps.  Go back and look at the COPIOUS amount of threads when they were proposing amplification.  ONE extra semi truck/trailer is NOT a small budget item and needs to be looked at.  People need to live in the reality of NOW.  If SCV is having issues, they can't possibly be the only ones.  There are so many factors in the past 5 years working against corps, that there is no single answer but the first one is living within your means.  THAT being said, it's a competitive activity so why wouldn't we scale it back a little and start getting real that every nickel and dime matters and this simply pointing to BD (or whomever) does it doesn't wash.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I don't want to get into an argument that has been covered multiple times.  As a professional musician, director and arranger, I can also appreciate playing different parts.  However, three people playing the same part and amplifying it is different than playing multiple brass or snares on the field that isn't amplified.

I have sung the national anthem at multiple NFL & MLB stadiums over the years with a single microphone and everyone heard me just fine in every one of them.

The issue here is $. The square/cubic footage that each marimba takes in a truck is more than any other instrument on the field. This creates the need for more vehicles, drivers, etc.  The same can be said for the increased use of props. Expenses are what has removed SCV from the field this year and has done so to many other corps over the past couple decades.  

We are getting close to DCA numbers of competing corps. They don't have a real need for prelims anymore other than order of performance at finals. Is this where we want the activity to go?

I don't want to argue about it either but I'll point out that singing through a giant stadium PA system with giant speakers placed around the stadium seating area and amplifying a front ensemble through 4 (maybe 6 depending on the setup) portable speakers and subwoofers on wheels to blend with a 75 member un-amplified hornline are not even remotely the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

The point being is that we added amps why are we not saving money and space with it yet as it was VERY much stated that it would?  I mean the was THE argument made for amps.  Go back and look at the COPIOUS amount of threads when they were proposing amplification.  ONE extra semi truck/trailer is NOT a small budget item and needs to be looked at.  People need to live in the reality of NOW.  If SCV is having issues, they can't possibly be the only ones.  There are so many factors in the past 5 years working against corps, that there is no single answer but the first one is living within your means.  THAT being said, it's a competitive activity so why wouldn't we scale it back a little and start getting real that every nickel and dime matters and this simply pointing to BD (or whomever) does it doesn't wash.

SCVs issue is that they were hurt by a revenue source because of COVID. One that they feel will be a temporary setback and will be addressed and they will be back next year. Isn't this decision scaling it back? I mean people are acting as if the BOD of these organizations want them to fail.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

SCVs issue is that they were hurt by a revenue source because of COVID. One that they feel will be a temporary setback and will be addressed and they will be back next year. Isn't this decision scaling it back? I mean people are acting as if the BOD of these organizations want them to fail.

Oh, I agree.  I just think that there need to be some parameters from DCI to make the activity more solvent and equal.  Not active is the ultimate scaling back.  Again, other activities have rules in place.  Why wouldn't max vehicles etc be one of them?  Everything from a parking issue to green issue.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

SCV’s issue is there is more than one issue here.  Along with inept financial management, there are staff issues therefore morale issue.  The visual staff all quit prior to ST last season.  This led to an incomplete start of the year and they never overcame it.  However the financial piece is huge and they will be very hard pressed to overcome that.  Being $2-$3 mill in debt will be hard to make up AND  have funding for 2024.  Bingo was a major blow, losing the team proficient in making it run.  Hopefully some of the kids auditioning can get into other corps,  but the top ones are pretty much filled already.  It is a shame and I can help thinking someone at the top of SCV, knew a while ago,  this was coming.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Oh, I agree.  I just think that there need to be some parameters from DCI to make the activity more solvent and equal.  Not active is the ultimate scaling back.  Again, other activities have rules in place.  Why wouldn't max vehicles etc be one of them?  Everything from a parking issue to green issue.

Because one more vehicle is not causing corps to go inactive. The caravan size has been roughly the same for 25 years.

38 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

I don't want to argue about it either but I'll point out that singing through a giant stadium PA system with giant speakers placed around the stadium seating area and amplifying a front ensemble through 4 (maybe 6 depending on the setup) portable speakers and subwoofers on wheels to blend with a 75 member un-amplified hornline are not even remotely the same.

I can't find many people in my circle that feel the front ensemble "blend" has ever been good.. year-after-year of "thunderous goo" posts and complaints about ear-piercing pits. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1