Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

51 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

there are limits to donation amounts and write offs if you are not a properly registered non profit. 

They WERE registered for years but from what I caught (board never spelled out how they screwed up) what they claimed to be doing didn’t match what they were doing. One year PA looked at their paperwork and… nope. Took them years to get NP back. Finally had to actually give money 😱 to a school to match the “educational” claims they made.
And (thinking of DCI) they had been “doing it this way for years” so why change. And why get someone from the outside (like lawyers who deal with NP) to check. Plus same board members for years (just rotate thru the offices) so no one had a clue what was really going on. Don’t think any board member had any legal expertise but they tried to handle it themselves 🤦‍♂️

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

They WERE registered for years but from what I caught (board never spelled out how they screwed up) what they claimed to be doing didn’t match what they were doing. One year PA looked at their paperwork and… nope. Took them years to get NP back. Finally had to actually give money 😱 to a school to match the “educational” claims they made.
And (thinking of DCI) they had been “doing it this way for years” so why change. And why get someone from the outside (like lawyers who deal with NP) to check. Plus same board members for years (just rotate thru the offices) so no one had a clue what was really going on. Don’t think any board member had any legal expertise but they tried to handle it themselves 🤦‍♂️

there are deadlines to file to keep your status, and you need documentation with it.  If something is not lining up in the paperwork, or you miss the deadline,  your status is revoked.  There's a lot of ways to mess it up unfortunately.  I've seen this with non drum corps type of groups many times. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

there are deadlines to file to keep your status, and you need documentation with it.  If something is not lining up in the paperwork, or you miss the deadline,  your status is revoked.  There's a lot of ways to mess it up unfortunately.  I've seen this with non drum corps type of groups many times. 

Know of a corps that missed the deadline. Think management had changed and everyone thought “someone else” was going to do it. Ooops… Took group I was in 5-10 years to get their status back. Problem was they had to change how they did things and board fought it. (Of course the state has it wrong, it can’t be us. 🤦‍♂️)

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The educational experience provided to colorguard members is rarely the same caliber as what's provided to drummers, pit and horn players. It can't be due to the insular nature of the colorguard/winterguard world. There are very few places a top-notch colorguard performer can take those skills and make a living. Without serious career succession planning and guidance, colorguard can be a dead end, total-frills experience with little substance that can actually feed a person's career. Has the colorguard world gotten any better at soft skills, for example?

Most colorguard folks only learn shows, and we very rarely get the luxury of multiple pre-season camps to cover anything but what's needed for the show. Too busy doing what? Learning another show for winterguard. I didn't learn anything from corps that bettered me, colorguard-wise. In fact, their teaching left me with serious adverse effects to my life. Diamante is a horrific parallel that shouldn't be ignored. I wasn't taught how to spin sabre. I was told doing so would be better for the show... so I learned it on my own and struggled through a season without actually being taught how to improve. I don't get the sense that the colorguard world has evolved past this broad approach.

The educational benefits of being with the corps were different, and numerous for me. But they weren't related to anything colorguard directly that I could take with me when I was done. So the teach to the show vs teach to the kids dichotomy gets complex for non-musician members of corps. Teach to the show... but to the benefit, ultimately, of whom? Or teach to the kids... perhaps overall achievement is lower, but the skills learned within the collaborative process can be used across industries. What's more important for a youth educational experience to provide? Competition be ######. I still think this is a false dichotomy if you have the right educators in place.

I welcome @GUARDLING or others to put me in check if I'm out of touch.

Well, there's a lot to unpack there. I think some is accurate and I think some of what you say is based possibly on your experience (which can be valid) only you can answer that. 

A lot of what you say is also based on which class (at least in WGI) you speak of. The higher the class the more it is about teaching the show, as it should be. If a student in WC needs to be taught, then Maybe they don't belong in WC. If a staff person presents something that a student does not come in doing (as I think you said) the is the staff's responsibility to TEACH that person, not hang them out on a limb alone. This is at least my way of approaching a student. 

AS far as a teaching career. There have been many who have made a good living if they have the talent to diversify throughout the activity. You're right, a music major (drum or brass people certainly have more opportunities available to them than guard people but at least for me I have and do have many students throughout DCI and WGI teaching, successful and making some pretty good money. Career? maybe, maybe not time will show that. The odds? probably slim. I have found over the years the ones who last in the activity have been the ones who watch and listen and NEVER think they know it all and continue to grow. One needs to be open year after year and willing to have an open mind. I also have found those who do the opposite fade away or classically say I have had enough and left the activity. Now that may be valid BUT I will also tell you in many cases I have seen over the past decades some weren't done with the activity; the activity was done with them. Now of course there are also some who the activity should have been done with them..lol

Now what's important IMO to or for a student, only one could decide for themselves, what's important to them, what philosophy, what mission statement, what's important to a given group, and much more. One needs to do their own homework and decide what's best for them. Groups can be different from each other just like the potential members themselves.

All Just my opinion and personal experience

Someone's personal experience, good or bad can certainly affect all what I just said...one way or another

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Know of a corps that missed the deadline. Think management had changed and everyone thought “someone else” was going to do it. Ooops… Took group I was in 5-10 years to get their status back. Problem was they had to change how they did things and board fought it. (Of course the state has it wrong, it can’t be us. 🤦‍♂️)

ive watched theatre and dance companies have things incorrect in their paperwork, and because of the back and forth trying to get things corrected they either missed the deadline, missed the fixes needed, or both. Should have they just paid for an attorney to handle the process and walk the through it instead of "we'll figure it out" maybe things would have been handled better. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

ive watched theatre and dance companies have things incorrect in their paperwork, and because of the back and forth trying to get things corrected they either missed the deadline, missed the fixes needed, or both. Should have they just paid for an attorney to handle the process and walk the through it instead of "we'll figure it out" maybe things would have been handled better. 

Agreed, especially if there were changes to the law (experts would know about them but maybe not board members) or how the group does things. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Not accurate. Looking at the numbers for many of the top corps, member fees are still less than half of the total revenues generated, all of which are targeted toward providing the members the experience of doing the drum corps thing.

That is funny.  Whenever we complain about appearance fees, revenue sharing, souvie sales, endorsement deals etc. only being available to the top corps, we are told that those revenue sources are small percentages because member tuition/fees still provide half the funding even for those corps.  

And to be clear, I am speaking about corps funding, not total revenue.  In other words, if the $2 million bingo revenue comes with $1,999,999 in operating costs, I only care about the $1 it contributes to funding the corps.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1