Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

2 minutes ago, perc2100 said:

And hard to come by in 2022.  SCV, in fact, was having problems finding housing for the San Diego show three days out last summer

someone understands.  thanks. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, C.Holland said:

They’re all fighting for the same big donors, and against other programs in the non profit sector. Theatre, dance, studio arts, community music classes… etc etc etc 

Right, and since many drum corps don't exactly have a big local footprint, it's even harder to solicit donations.  I grew up outside of a big city, in a suburb.  They were incredibly supportive of their local band programs, but trying to solicit donations for drum corps was impossible: they (strangers who would/did give, say, $100 to a local marching band student in September) were perplexed at the thought of me asking them to donate money for an out-of-state/non-local drum and bugle corps.  And that was in the mid-1990's, when the economic situation wasn't as questionable as it is nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Thank you for emphasizing this.

Words cannot adequately express what I have given to SCV. But I did so because despite the worst of what I went through, I still feel so relentlessly indebted to several very specific alum (and the corps that united us) who took the time to teach me the most poignant lessons this activity has to offer.

To name a few: "S" (who genuinely nothing-burgered this news earlier this morning, they have much bigger fish to fry,) Erin, Johanna, Chief, Brandon, Omar, Leo, Micah, Fred, Marcus, Jay, Myron, Jim, Murray (note the lack of female alum on staff). They all helped make me the educator and human I am today. There are others.

So if I get snippy at folks who are outside of the alum/staff/donor/insider circle, I hope they understand a little better why.

I totally agree. 

My experience with the organization has been mixed over the years, but I entered the cadets corps when I was 14 and it shaped me into the human that I am now, in one way or another. It literally saved my life multiple times throughout my life, and when I came back to them it was always like coming home. 

It's incredibly heartbreaking to see the organization fall, especially when it's from self inflicted wounds. I hope they clean house and remove every single person that had a role in this. Burn it down, and start from scratch with Gail's original mission so more generations of local bay area students can learn how to be Santa Clara. 

• Like 1

Just now, perc2100 said:

Right, and since many drum corps don't exactly have a big local footprint, it's even harder to solicit donations.  I grew up outside of a big city, in a suburb.  They were incredibly supportive of their local band programs, but trying to solicit donations for drum corps was impossible: they (strangers who would/did give, say, $100 to a local marching band student in September) were perplexed at the thought of me asking them to donate money for an out-of-state/non-local drum and bugle corps.  And that was in the mid-1990's, when the economic situation wasn't as questionable as it is nowadays.

its easy for theatre and dance programs, who have local building, community programs, and the city can see if real time where their money goes.  you can see shows happening, you can see the kiddie programs, after school arts events, and how it benefits the local area. 

Drum corps is a boat, you toss money into and watch leave.  Only seeing blurbs online of it. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Slingerland said:

He's already the book writer at Troopers. Baller move would be for the SCV vets to go over there en masse.

They probably won't find any room. Perc camp last weekend in TX was wall-to-wall with auditionees, and the vet retention rate in the perc section is unprecedented. Lauren runs a quality program.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 3

Just now, MarimbaManiac said:

Yes, you've stated your opinion (stubbornly, despite how erroneous it is), and you are still flatly ignoring the history of the organization, and its stated mission. You're flat out wrong here. 

history?  this activity changes every season. they all have similar missions on their sites, and they all still routinely have the same method of "casting" as its called now.  You can believe whatever it is you want to.   But hey, no corps will spend months training a lead trumpet or feature dancer when they can subsidize an already trained and willing individual.   That's just the state of the activity now.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, perc2100 said:

And hard to come by in 2022.  SCV, in fact, was having problems finding housing for the San Diego show three days out last summer

And pre covid DCI East had problems a few years with housing. Some of the places I saw mentioned were 90-120 minutes outside Allentown

• Like 1